Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cleaner shrimps mysteriously disappearing

I currently have both my 36g and 44g tank empty due to outbreaks of ich in both. While the tanks were empty, I decided to add some cleaner shrimps into my 36g to let them grow since they come very tiny from the LFS. I had a total of 5 cleaners and a fire shrimp in the 36g and everything was fine.

Three weeks ago, I notice the shell of a cleaner shrimp and thought it had molted but I only counted 4 cleaner shrimps so I assumed it died and the shrimps ate the remains. Last week, I was looking at my tank and notice another cleaner shrimp was missing, but this time there wasn't any shells or anything. It just seemed like someone took it out, but nobody at my house would do that. I just looked at my tank again today and another cleaner shrimp is missing. No body or shell or anything. It just disappeared. Could the remaining shrimps clean it up so well that there aren't even any shells?

CUC: 1 fire shrimp and two cleaner shrimps left, 2 or 3 small hermits, 4 nassarius snails. No fish

Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Murderous shrimp kill during night - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience - msnbc.comcheck out this article on cleaner shrimp.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

that article helped a lot, thanks. I'm going to just assume the shrimps cleaned up the body very well so nothing was left

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, rim, rio, shrimp, shrimps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com