cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpaparazzo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am patiently waiting for my tank to finish cycling, once done I obviously want to get a cleaning crew..If i go to some websites they recommend like 18 hermit crab 30+ snails..This seems offly high for my 75g..What should I do once the tank is cycled..How many should I get and at what rate??

thanks

It's not that much ! Go with the recommennded quantity... There will be a lot of surfaces specially if you have about 75lbs of LR right ? But you could start with half and take it from there !

From my personal experence it seems that each tank is unique in what it 'needs' vs whats suggested. Depending on how your tank is stocked and how your tank is setup as far as live rock and filtration and how efficent your skimmer is and how often you feed and how often you do water changes, etc.

You might need more or less than someone else with the same size tank.

What I would suggest is to get maybe a handful of snails at first. Try them out. If you feel you need/want more then get some more.

I have seen suggestions as high as 1 snail per gal of tank capcity!

I agree with FF - always better to start with less, and need to add more, than to start with more - and have them starve.
Personally, I'd forego the hermits altogether (or get very few), and get a good mix of different snails (different snails will work different surfaces -- rock - sand - glass -- and will eat different types of algae).

For a 75g, I'd initially start with about 20-25 snails (plus an additional 25-30 Nassarius & Cerith if you have a DSB). Maybe 5-10 scarlet legged hermits if you like crabs. A Brittle or Serpent star is also an excellent addition (just don't get the Olive green brittle)

HTH!

Back
Top Bottom