Cleaning Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy_b22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was wondering the people out there would suggest that i get for a cleaning crew to clean the glass, algae, and extra food particles. i have a 55 gallon glass tank, with live rock i don't want to spend 50 dollars like you will on the package deal. i am looking to spend like 20-30 dollars on them. TIN

I just bought 2 turbo snails and 2 margarita snails for $5 total at the LFS and they've already made a small dent in my after cycle brown algae problem.

These snails are usually 1.50 to 2.00. So you could get a bunch of snails... I don't know that those packages the put together are a good idea anyways cause I heard too many cleaners will die from lack of food eventually...

About snails, does anyone know if you have to supplement calcium, or will a tank that's in proper pH range provide enough calcium for snails to grow their shells?

Attachments

• picture_059_203.jpg
    picture_059_203.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 55
will a tank that's in proper pH range provide enough calcium for snails to grow their shells?

I'm thinking regular water changes will do.

Andy, add a dozen hermits and a couple of cleaner shrimp to the snails for starters.

I have 13 hermits, 6 astrea snails, 2 emerald crabs, a cleaner shrimp, and a starfish in my 55 gal. I would like to get more snails, probably turbo snails. Does anybody know if nassarius snails need sand? The hermits are entertaining and at my lfs they were cheap ($1.25). They have made noticeable progress on the algae removal from the cc and lr. The snails and starfish are always stuck to the glass.

I like margarita snails. They are normaly less expensive and they are hard workers. For cleanup, serpent stars are nice.

And yes, sand beds for nassarius.

So, which type of hermit crab would you suggest, and when do i add them to my tank, which i have not cycled, but going to do this saturday(16th).Is it a good idea to put them in when the tank is cycling to keep it clean? One other question. How do you clean the containers that you are going to age your water in? Just bought them.

I wouldn't add any life during the cycle, other than some dead uncooked shrimp (see article portion of this site for fishless cycle method) Age water? I presume you're speaking of mixing saltwater... Just rinse them with tap water (never use any detergents... only plain tap water and shake it out and then mix your RO/DI water (better results than using tap (healthier tanks...) with the salt, (only about 1/3 of the salt at atime so the pH won't dip (dips if you add all the salt at once). Once your thirds are dissolved you can add the next third... Keep it moving with a powerhead and warmed with a heater...

I have 4 emerald crabs in my 120 gallon. They will gladly eat anything my fish leave behind. Very rarely do have to net out leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom