Cleaning crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is just about done being cycled. I was wondering if you could give me an idea as to what the best cleaning crew would be for my tank. I have a 20 gal.The biggest concern is the brown algae that has grown on my live rock.

Thanks
Ryan

I have 6 astrea snails (clean glass and rocks), 2 nassarius snails (sand sifters), 1 fighting conch (meant to be sand sifter but likes to climb on rocks and the glass), 3 scarlet reef hermits and 2 dwarf blue legged hermits. They do a nice job with the brown algae on the rocks and the glass. I also have an emerald crab because I had some bubble algae and a peppermint shrimp to control a very minor aiptasia outbreak. Hope this helps!

Personally, I like nassis (maybe about 10) and ceriths (10 also) a fighting conch, sally lightfoot crab. I have a few hermits but am not a real big fan (they like to munch my snails that are upside down, or when they need a bigger shell). The sally lightfoot is probably the least agressive at larger sizes than most others. The above suggestions are great as well.
I would suggest, since your tank is relatively new, start small, other wise they may starve.

I agree with Roka! Don't get to excited this early in the game. Take your time and add animals slowly letting your tank mature!

I just added a few more snails to my cleanup crew and added something I didn't put in the first time - one of the large nassarius snails ("super tongan" on the liveaquaria website.) After watching him for a few days now, I wish I'd bought some to start with - and I'll probably be adding a couple more in a few weeks. They really really do a good job of turning the sand over. The small nassarius are great, but the big guys are like bulldozers compared to them. I'd definitely include a couple of those!

Yeah I agree that starting slowly is the best idea. I think I will probably start with two snails and one shrimp just to get things started. I do have some decent brown algae build up on my live rock that I would like to get rid of. My Ammonia and Nitrite are both at zero and I definately plan on having the LFS test it before I even get anything to make sure what I have done is correct.

I would have them test nitrAtes as well. Although, not as toxic to your critters, as ammonia and nitrItes, over time it could cause damage if not kept under 20ppm.

Oh I definately will. I need to get a kit that includes nitrate and calcium testing

Back
Top Bottom