cleaning crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buc09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 55 gallon tank i need a cleaning crew i have had the tank now for a month and a half i have a cleaner shrimp and some turbo snail wat eles should u i get???

I like ceriths (20), nassis (20), fighting conch (1), pincushion urchin (1), sally lightfoot crab (1), maybe 1 or 2 hermits (other's might say more and that is perfectly fine, I am just not that big of a fan). That should help get you started, also the link Mike posted can give you more ideas. I would keep away from most other crabs, as they tend to be more agressive at they get bigger.

I like Emerald Crabs. They will deal with the small pieces of bubble algae that inevitably crop up.

Get some Nassarius for the sand bed, I like the way they keep things stiired up, and it is fun to watch them surface like a submarine when they sense food is in the water.

As for hermits, I like them, I usually stick with the small blue leg hermits and a couple of Scarlet hermit.

Urchins are excellent algae cleaners, in fact they demolish algae. Just be aware that they also eat corraline algae and you can tell where they have been during the night.

I don't particularly like Sea Cucumbers. I've never had any, I just don't like the idea of it spitting out is innards and poisoning my tank. Don't think it happens too often, but I don't want to take a chance.

Not all cucumbers are poisonous and they can be very neat to watch in the tank, IMO. If possible you should look for a Medusa Worm, they are really good cleaners and look great!

I saw a medusa worm at an lfs about two months ago and I was like WTF IS THAT!

It looked so wierd. The people at the lfs told me that it had been sucked up in the the central filter twice and damaged but it still made it.

I have a cucumber. They are so cool. Don't get a brown one cause then you'll have to blow the whistle and clear everyone out of the pool, skim the water with the net and run a massive amount of clorine through the pool and no one can get back in for a day!!!

beachbumin said:
Not all cucumbers are poisonous and they can be very neat to watch in the tank, IMO. If possible you should look for a Medusa Worm, they are really good cleaners and look great!

You learn something new everyday.

What types ar not poisonous?

Sorry for hijack.

Back
Top Bottom