Cleaning live rock so I can add to another tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently gave up on my 72g predator tank beacuse every fish manages to last no longer than 2 months. I want to use some of the LR in that tank in my 110g reef. Should I just dip the LR in FW to make sure nothing transfers over? I know it will probably kill everyhting off the rock but I have close to 200lbs in my 110g already so I"m not that worried about it growing back.

They say you can sterilize it in bleach water, then fresh water with a dechlorinator. I am doing the same thing right now for the exact same reason.

Do you really think it's necessary to bleach it? I was just hoping running it under some FW would kill/rinse anything bad off.

Honestly, if you do not know the source of the problems in the 72 and If the tank is fishless I would let it sit for a fallow period for 6-8 weeks. I think 8 weeks is better.
If the problem was parasitic in nature, this would give it a chance to cycle out.
JMO

But, I would rather just kill whatever is left and use the rock(40-60lbs?) now..... I'm out of room in my 110 and need to redo the rock to allow for more coral :lol: I was just hoping to use the rock in the 72g now instead of waiting 6-8 weeks........

But, I would rather just kill whatever is left and use the rock(40-60lbs?)
You mean for base rock? Then I would let it soak in FW for a few days. If you want to keep if live, I would do the fallow thing. I can't remember all the problems you had, would just hate to see you transfer these problems to your reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom