Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-31-2004, 10:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Cleaning Sand

I'm setting up my first tank and read several books and read tons on the net about it and asked lots of questions from the dealer but I seemed to have totaly missed everything on cleaning the sand before putting it in the tank and filling with water. Heres what i have 150 oceanic tank with sump ,210pounds of sand and 75 pounds of live rock, the water took 2 days to clear up to a cloudy level and every time I do anything to the inside of the tank it turns cloudy again, My question is do I need to drain it and clean the sand and start over?? I asked the dealer and he said to leave it but before I add fish I do not want a cloudy tank, I would appreciate any insight from you pro's. I want to start out right the first time.

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank was extremley cloudy for about a week when I added my sand. The theory goes that the smaller sand particle size helps with surface area for bacteria growth and is actually beneficial. You'll probably get a few bouts of cloudiness. Do you have any power heads moving water at this point? It may sound wrong, it can actually help though, as it'll mix the sand bed (and move the tiny particles lower in the sand).

If your water is really not clearing up, take some polyster stuffing and put in the input of a powerhead.

55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two power heads going but not pointed towards the sand, I'll leave it be see what happens. Thanks.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
As the bacteria start to colonize on the sand is will settle out.
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

clean, cleaning, cleaning sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com