Cleaning the sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Breaking in my new protein skimmer. Today is the beginning of day 3. I wanted to know if the skimmer looks ok. Yesterday it skimmed a little bit of tan stuff, after I changed my sock the bubbles went down. I re adjusted the skimmer and the bubbles are going 1/2 way up the collection cup. Do you think everything is ok. I guess I need to give it more time to break in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1398785061909.jpg
    1398785061909.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 1398785080786.jpg
    1398785080786.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 45
I'm was constantly tuning my skimmer for the first 6wks or so, I've had it for 6 months I got it to pull dark skimmate consistently.

Thank you, I've got to say this hobby teaches you patience and I need it. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unfortunately, unless you have a self priming pump, there is no easy way to vacuum out the detritus that gets past the filter sock. Creating a siphon is very difficult because the sump is so close to the floor. The best you can do is really stir the detritus up and then change the sump water when you do your water change.

Here's my way to vacuum the sump. I have one of those freshwater gravel syphon hoses. I literally suck on the wide end and vacuum with the small end. When the water gets almost to me on the wide end I stop and plug the other end with my finger. Dump it out and go again. The gravel symphony attachment gives it enough volume to make it all work and using it backwards makes it work without drinking a bunch of gross sump water.

Back
Top Bottom