Cleaning the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esears1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I would like to find out what is the best way to clean the fish tank. I just acquired a 110 gallon tank from a friend and in it's current condition, it's pretty dirty. The glass has a lot of algae and etc on it and I want to get it cleaned up and setup for it's new life of being a saltwater tank (which the previous owner had it as a freshwater tank). I tried to clean it up using regular water and a scrub brush but it's not strong enough to really clean it up. As you can tell i'm a newbie so i'll be posting a lot more questions as I go on in setting up my saltwater tank.

Thanks,

Edward

Since I told my wife that vinegar was mentioned as a way of cleaning the tank. She asked if it's possible to use baking soda? Does anyone know?

Baking soda won't hurt anything, but vinegar works best because it's acidic. I just got done (literally) cleaning some filter parts that'd been soaking in a 1:1 vinegar/water solution for a couple weeks. The coralline algae (the hard purple stuff) just floated off the stuff.

A glass scraper or razor blade will clean the glass easily, just be careful around the silicone. And as onitweak mentioned, stay away from any soap. You could use a bleach solution (1:5 bleach to water), but make sure to rinse it with plenty of water afterwards and let it air out for a week or so. And use rubber gloves!

IMO baking soda will scratch Plexi Glass.

I use a ball of clean filter floss to scrub a plexi tank.

If it's a glass tank then a straight edge razor blade carefully used will scrape off the worst crust then a new green dish scrubbing sponge.

Either way a good soak would be my first step. Then elbow grease applied liberally.

oh ok.. i have a 110 gallon tank which is mostly glass but i'll stay away from using baking soda. I'll be cleaning the tank this weekend. Can't wait to get it ready so i can start my saltwater tank.

Both ways are good. I always use the bleach/water way. The key mentioned above is to make sure it completely air dry.

Same, bleach and water. For difficult deposits I use muriatic acid (be careful with this agent).

Thanks everyone!

The vinegar worked! I cleaned the tank today and it looks really good. Tomorrow i'll get some spray paint to paint the back of the tank.

Oh I have one question. The tank Glass this morning looks spotty, i guess from the sponge and dirt that was in the tank. Is it safe to use windex to clean the glass on the inside? Granted, I will be airing it out for a few weeks since i'm not yet ready to put sand, etc in it.

Back
Top Bottom