cleanup crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
We went to lfs and purchased some inverts. Tell me what you think and their compatibility? The employee at lfs said they were all compatible but I believe you guys would be more honest. 6 nassarius snails, 6-8 hermit crabs, a conch (son picked it), emerald crab (one green and the other black, husband picked those) Also, I got the peppermint shrimp the other day. Will any of these eat each other?

The only issue I have had is hermits killing snails for their shells. I have everyone on the list that you have except fo rthe conch.

Not much you can do about he hermits and snails, maybe put some extra shells in there for the hermits to move into, but I have plenty of those. I guess the hermits prefer shells with the lived-in look.

All looks fine. As Finatic mentioned adding extra shells can curb the amount of smails that hermits try to take the shell from. Do you have a sand substrate? I ask because the nassarius snails do best in it.

General rule of thumb fo snails and hermits is as many as 1 per gallon of each. I usually do not go more than half of that.

Try updating you "My info" section, so we all know a bit more about your setup to include equipment and current inhabitants so we can better give advice.

I assume this is a newer setup, any fish yet? Are you do FOWLR or reef? You will need to watch fish selection as some like to munch on inverts. As for emeralds usually 1 per 30-50g, but not knowing how big a setup you have I cannot comment.

HTH,

Cool, suggest you add the type of filtration you are using ie sump, canister, skimmer etc. You may want to add the date it was setup. I say this because there are certain creatures that are not recomended for tank tha are newer, but do better if the tank is a bit older.

It is a great hobby, just remember to do your research, take your time and ask questions like you are.

Good Luck,

Back
Top Bottom