Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
cloudy/greenish/yellowish water

Will GAC clear this up? It looks yellowish from the side view. I have cut back on feedings and plan to do another water change. I want to add the GAC into one of the chambers of my canister filter, I was told this may clear it up without use of any type of chemicals.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, GAC should clear it up just fine assuming it is DOC's that are causing the problems in the first place.

Why is your water that color anyway? Have you done anything that may have caused it?

Old 11-07-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
I was thinking maybe I was feeding too much. I added a couple pieces of LR, but pretty sure this had nothing to do with it. I'm gonna add some activated carbon and see what happens, but I refuse to use pantyhose to hold the carbon

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

One other question: I read that you should not place the GAC in an area where it gets a high volume of water. Will placing it in my XP2 Filstar be too much water movement? I think its rated at 300GPH but doesnt actually push that much.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I added a couple pieces of LR, but pretty sure this had nothing to do with it
If I had to bet what did it, I would be on that. Was that rock cured? May want to do some ammonia checks to be sure. Uncured LR will turn the color of the water from clear to brown/yellow.

Quote:
but I refuse to use pantyhose to hold the carbon
No argument from me there. I buy those mesh bags from the LFS that will hold just about anything. Comes in very useful.

Quote:
read that you should not place the GAC in an area where it gets a high volume of water. Will placing it in my XP2 Filstar be too much water movement? I think its rated at 300GPH but doesnt actually push that much.
Not too sure where you read that. I have always been under the impression that you should put GAC in high flow areas so that it will be able to work much faster than in a slow flow area. The only downside is that the carbon will catch large pieces of "gunk" that is floating in the water.

FYI, if you have a canister filter you can only put GAC inside of the can. And that is a HIGH flow area.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I added the carbon a week ago and the water is still kinda cloudy, i mean it is not crystal clear, as I would like. I know you should change it out after about a week, I think I'll do that and see what happens. Any advice to clear the situation?

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
How much carbon did you put in? Is the waer any better at all? I think carbon is suppossed to be good for 3-4 weeks so you might not have to change it yet.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I put in 2 1/2 cups for my 50 gallon about a week ago. I haven't changed it out yet. I thought it loses its effectiveness after about a week. The water quality seems about the same as before.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.

Tags
cloud, cloudy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com