Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cloudy salt water

I just purchased a 75 gallon fish only tank. I added RO water and my salt. It has been 12 hours since the tank was full and still cloudy. The temperature is 77 and the chemicals are all fine: ph 8.2, ammonia/nitrites/nitrates all 0 ppm. I read somewhere that if you add the salt too soon or salt first then water (which is what i did) that calcium precipitates show up. How do i get rid of these? I want to add my sand and purchase live rock to get the cycle going but not sure if i should wait until the water clears up. Thanks so much for any advice/tips! I'm new to these (although i've been doing a lot of research the past two months). Thanks again!!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to run as much circulation as possible and it will eventually clear up.
You are sorta doing things in reverse order.
Best way was to add sand ,base rock,mix the salt to water in a container and then add the water to the tank.Then you would add some live rock.
It is alot cheaper to mainly start with base rock and just a couple of pieces of live rock .

Old 03-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
You need to run as much circulation as possible and it will eventually clear up.
Best way was to add sand ,base rock,mix the salt to water in a container and then add the water to the tank.Then you would add some live rock.
It is alot cheaper to mainly start with base rock and just a couple of pieces of live rock .
I started my 70 gal yesterday .
I filled the tank , added the salt and then added the live sand which said
Do not rinse on the bag .
24 hrs later the tank is still cloudy but not As bad after running the filter and
Power head all night .
The filter was filled with sand when I cleaned it this morning .
How long does it normally take for the sand to settle and the water to be clear ?
Is it best to run the filters or let everything settle then start the pumps again ?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post

I started my 70 gal yesterday .
I filled the tank , added the salt and then added the live sand which said
Do not rinse on the bag .
24 hrs later the tank is still cloudy but not As bad after running the filter and
Power head all night .
The filter was filled with sand when I cleaned it this morning .
How long does it normally take for the sand to settle and the water to be clear ?
Is it best to run the filters or let everything settle then start the pumps again ?
Keep the filters running ,give it another day,it'll clear,keep rinsing the filters till it does.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Keep the filters running ,give it another day,it'll clear,keep rinsing the filters till it does.
I have been letting it run .
I have rinsed the filter a few times and it seams to be getting a little better .
I added some filter floss in both the emeim filter and the small bio- life to try and see if that makes anything better .
Is it a real bad thing that I used tap water ?
I have in the past used tap water and didn't have this problem but I didn't use the same salt and didn't use live sand .
Maybe this is why .
What is the recommended specific gravity ?
I have a hydrometer and it reads 1.024
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I have been letting it run .
I have rinsed the filter a few times and it seams to be getting a little better .
I added some filter floss in both the emeim filter and the small bio- life to try and see if that makes anything better .
Is it a real bad thing that I used tap water ?
I have in the past used tap water and didn't have this problem but I didn't use the same salt and didn't use live sand .
Maybe this is why .
What is the recommended specific gravity ?
I have a hydrometer and it reads 1.024
Range of 1.025,you're close.You need to stop using tap water,need RO/DI or purified .
Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Thanks so much! It's starting to clear and i was able to add my live rock!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajp5f View Post

Thanks so much! It's starting to clear and i was able to add my live rock!
It's been awhile ( approx. 15 years) since I had a marine tank and didn't have a problem then with tap water ,
I was assuming the cloudiness is from the live sand .
How would you suggest I clear the water without starting over ?
I really don't want to empty and start from scratch again
Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
It's been awhile ( approx. 15 years) since I had a marine tank and didn't have a problem then with tap water ,
And that was 15 years ago....... Tap water won't show issues in the short run, but over a period of time, things like heavy metals, phosphates, nitrates, and even human pharmaceuticals can/will accumulate in your system, creating serious problems. RODI water is now the industry standard for a healthy system.

And the cloudiness will continue to clear, but it can take upwards of a week to do so.

Do you plan on doing a fishless cycle?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post

And that was 15 years ago....... Tap water won't show issues in the short run, but over a period of time, things like heavy metals, phosphates, nitrates, and even human pharmaceuticals can/will accumulate in your system, creating serious problems. RODI water is now the industry standard for a healthy system.

And the cloudiness will continue to clear, but it can take upwards of a week to do so.

Do you plan on doing a fishless cycle?
This is where I am open for suggestions .
I need something to start the cycle like fish ?
Or will live rock help ?

Tags
cloud, cloudy, salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com