cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pelochas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have added my live sand and live rock to my 75 gal on Sunday. The sand or fine silt or “powder” makes the tank all cloudy when I adjust or move the live rocks around. After the tank clears up, the rock and sand has a thin film layer of “dust or powder” sand over everything. The deep sand bed also has a couple of layers of the “fine black” sand. I made 3 dumps of live sand. I guess when the first layer settled it created a layer and when I poured the other bucket, it made a couple of layers.

Will this powder or silt sand/mud eventually settle under the coarse sand? Or should I vacuum it?

I actually just had the SAME problem with my 37 gallon about 2 days ago. It actually just worked itself out, your mechanical filter should help a little bit. As much as you want to adjust your new live rock to where you want it, just leave it for a few days and let the filter and powerheads run, they will move all the dust from the LR and put it into the sand, in the filter etc. I finally was able to adjust my LR to how i wanted it yesterday. The first time it clearned up a bit to where I thought i could rearange the rocks, but then when i moved them all the dust sheeted off the rock and I was right back where i started. It tends to clear up quicker the 2nd time you mess up. If you have anymore questions I would be glad to help.

my tank tends to clear up within a few hours, actually about 6 to 8 hours.

what mechanical filtration do you have? i have only a Fluval 404. No sponges. I have a sump so maybe i can stick some more filters in there. What can you recommend? I do the large sponge filter that came with the wet/dry filter. The wet/dry is now a sump where i will add more live rock. how and where can i use that big sponge?

Back
Top Bottom