Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cloudy Tank but I'm being patient

Hello I have a 55 Gallon SW FO that has been cycling for 5 days, on day 3 the tank began to clear and while adjusting some cords behind the tank, I unplugged my Bio-wheel filter by accident but I plugged it back Immediately but the tank became again very cloudy, the tank has not shown any signs of clearing up since Monday night when this happended.
I also added additional salt in 1 cup increments until I got my Salinity levels from 1.016 to 1.022. Upon setup I used filtered water but when adding the extra salt I was using just tap water. I have no fish in the tank I was waiting to have a clear tank but my levels are below.

Should there be any sign of clearing up or do I need to continue my long dedication to patience?

Salinity :1.022
PH: 8.0
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: .5
ammonia: 0.13
Temp: 72 degrees
All other levels are good

Old 02-04-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What color is this cloudy water?

Do you have sandy substrate?

Having the bio-wheel unplugged for a very breif period should have had zero effect on water clarity.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:38 PM   #3

The water is white just like moments after the initial set-up. I was told it was the sand substrate and that it would clear up in a couple of days, but when I turned the filter off and powered it back up I was told it may have been build up in the bottom filters, but I thought by day three It would have began to clear.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
steve-s

Sounds like you do not have any rock in the tank? If that the case, the flow from the HOB with the bio-wheel is hitting the substrate and blowing the finer particles into the water column. I would not worry about it if that's the case. As time passes the bacteria will begin to weigh down the sand. It might take a week or so but it will not be a concern, only a little bothersome for viewing.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Is the hang on biowheel the only source for water movement?

How where you going to cycle the tank? I would suggest the fishless method that involves a raw shrimp or two.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:35 AM   #6

Additionally I have the CPR cyclone Bak-Pak with a built in skimmer. I plan to add a couple Damsels, but I didn't want to introduce them until my water was crystal clear. The LFS sold me a Bio-bacteria that he said was fairly new and would cycle the tank in days, but as you can see by my levels it has not worked.

Today I see signs of improvement my water levels last night were:

Salinity :1.023
PH: 8.0
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: .5
ammonia: 0.13
Temp: 72 degrees
All other levels are good

Tags
cloud, cloudy, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com