Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok 1/2 fulled my tank with ro water, mixed in salt let run for several hours with powerhead. rinsed off the sand then started adding it to the tank. I have about a 3" sand bed,added the rest of the mixed water started up the filter, its been running for about 24 hours and I still can't see the back of the tank. about how long does it take for water to start cleaning up.????
Here's a photo of the cloudy water after 24 hours
Salt%20and%20Sand.jpg

It will probably take a few days since you added the sand after the water. I tried what fishfreek recommended and put sand in first and then put a trash bag or a plate on the sand and started filling. I could see clearly in less than a day. No big deal though, it will just take a little longer. Might want to turn off your powerheads though, sand is rough on them. Once it settles then add salt. HTH

I have the powerhead off, just running the filter. I should be getting my skimmer on monday...and my live rock on thruday. Should I start the skimmer as soon as I get it.?
What about adding a shimp now.? or just wait for the live rock.?

bckane said:
Ok 1/2 fulled my tank with ro water, mixed in salt let run for several hours with powerhead. rinsed off the sand then started adding it to the tank. I have about a 3" sand bed,added the rest of the mixed water started up the filter, its been running for about 24 hours and I still can't see the back of the tank. about how long does it take for water to start cleaning up.????

I put in my sand first and then added the saltwater. My water was extremely cloudy for about 1 1/2 weeks, but after I put in the liverock (my pump, protein skimmer, and powerheads had already been running) it cleared up within the next couple of days and now it looks great!

So I should just leave the filter and powerhead running, and when I get my skimmer turn it on.....then add the live rock and wait.????

That is exactly what I did - and now mine looks crystal clear! I was so excited when I could finally see the back of the tank!!! I also doubled up the prefilter material in my sump to help extract more of the silt out. Good luck! :jump:

Back
Top Bottom