Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I was just wondering he was showing me what salt products he had. He, said he can order me anything.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops didn't mean to send that twice

Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any products I should get? I have plenty of salt for now. I heard I needed something for my Ph. I can't test it till I get my test kit I ordered
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwandrsn View Post
Any products I should get? I have plenty of salt for now. I heard I needed something for my Ph. I can't test it till I get my test kit I ordered
A test kit and refractometer will get you started.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It depends on if your going to have corals or just a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) corals need calcium so I suggest reef code A and B from Brightwell aquatics. For your PH I use marine buffer from Seachem. I also run ROWAphos in my hob filter to remove excess phosphates. High phosphates can lead to Ciano bacteria which is a red bacteria that will grow on your sand caused by excess phosphates. Also what lights are you running and what are your stocking intentions?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO don't buy any products yet. I had a tank for almost a full year and did NOTHING but water changes. Didn't any dosing of chemicals or buffers.

If your good with your weekly water changes your be fine. Your salt mix is replenishing a lot of what you need.

Save your money for now. If and when you start corals them maybe down the road you may look into something. Buffers shouldn't be needed with proper flow, surface agitation etc. again... Save your money.

Purigen or phosguard are good but if your having phosphate issues some products will just mask the issue at hand. I'm a firm believer in less is more.

The less crap you throw in to your tank the better.

Just my opinion.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll want to get nitrate, pH and alkalinity test kits if you're just going with fish and you will want a couple of others once you have some corals growing. I like Red Sea test kits. They cost a little bit more than the cheapest kits but you can get inexpensive refills after that. They're easy to use and accurate. But... if it comes down to choosing any piece of equipment to get first, an RO filter should be right at the top. A book also helps immeasurably.

Also, you'll want to keep the tank full of water all the time to stop any splashing. That will cause a huge salt creep mess. Freshwater tanks are sometimes allowed to get low on water but that's bad for salt levels and any water that splashes will leave salt behind. You'll want to top off the tank with freshwater every day.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got a hydrometer. And I ordered API saltwater master kit already

As for stocking 2 occ clowns and?? Maybe damsels I don't really know what else I want other than clowns I gotta do research and see what all I can have in a 36. I want peaceful fish
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've got a hydrometer. And I ordered API saltwater master kit already

As for stocking 2 occ clowns and?? Maybe damsels I don't really know what else I want other than clowns I gotta do research and see what all I can have in a 36. I want peaceful fish
Damsels are notoriously nippy fish. I have a PJ Cardinal and he is about as relaxed as it gets. Also have a yellow watchman gobie who is also relaxed.
Just a couple suggestions.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok thanks I'll look them up. Like I said I know I can put more that 2 clowns in my tank just haven't looked to see what I can get

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com