cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are a, few pics can't get the white things cause they disappear as, soon as lights go on

ForumRunner_20130123_232255.jpg

ForumRunner_20130123_232303.jpg

ForumRunner_20130123_232310.jpg

First pic is maybe a brittle star. He won't come out when I shine light in hole he hides
Second maybe that sip worm
Third tank shot

Yeah. Still don't know what white stringy things are. The one is definitely a mini brittle star. He doesn't like light and all I see is his long tentacles

So to recap I think I have a mini brittle star, xenia of some sorts and what I believe is a spionidae worm but I don't see any movement out of it other than 2 hairs waving in the current and some white string like things coming about a half an inch out of the rock and wiggling around then disappearing when I turn lights on.

And I got scared I put the new marineland visi therm recall replacement for the stealth heater in my tank. it clicks when it turns on and off and I was looking thru hitchhiker webpages and read something about mantis shrimp. I got scared but I watched the heater for the past half hour and that was the heater clicking lol

The refractometer on eBay will work fine. Distilled water will work also. The solution is best to calibrate IMO. Sorry I wasn't in here earlier I passed out.

Also yea I'm sure the guy at your LFS is correct however you should have the equipment to test your salinity yourself. A hydrometer isn't accurate and why play the game? He's 2 points higher so you should be 2 points lower.

Next week maybe yours is 3 points low his is 1 point, you get my point right?

Accuracy is key. I wouldn't wanna play that game once your corals, inverts are in and you add more fish.

The refractometer on eBay will work fine. Distilled water will work also. The solution is best to calibrate IMO. Sorry I wasn't in here earlier I passed out.

Also yea I'm sure the guy at your LFS is correct however you should have the equipment to test your salinity yourself. A hydrometer isn't accurate and why play the game? He's 2 points higher so you should be 2 points lower.

Next week maybe yours is 3 points low his is 1 point, you get my point right?

Accuracy is key. I wouldn't wanna play that game once your corals, inverts are in and you add more fish.

Yeah I understand. I ordered it so now I'll know :)

Ok here are my levels today

ForumRunner_20130124_081132.jpg

Yikes
Looks like nitrites are 2 or higher
Nitrate maybe 20?
Ammonia ?
I still don't have the saltwater kit
But last night nitrites were 0 and then I added bio spira

Ok here are my levels today

Yikes
Looks like nitrites are 2 our higher
Nitrate maybe 20?
Ammonia ?
I still don't have the saltwater kit
But last night nitrites were 0 and then I added bio spira

Remind me again and I'm sorry. It's a fishless cycle right?

No haven't used shrimp. The sand was used so I was figuring there was "stuff" on it that would produce ammonia plus the live rock and the dead dried up snail shells

should I start mixing water to do a, water change?

Or let it drop on its own
Ammonia is going down and nitrates are coming up

should I start mixing water to do a, water change?

Or let it drop on its own
Ammonia is going down and nitrates are coming up

I'd let it run its course. Just keep watching. Eventually you'll have no nitrites and you'll nitrAtes. You'll know when you see it. It's running its course.

IMO doing a water change would just re route things. There's nothing in the tank so let it go.

Hey convict, I looked up your stocking list here is what I came up with

2 Occ clowns - peaceful
2 banggai cardinal - semi aggressive
1 six line wrasse - semi aggressive
2 orange spot goby - peaceful
1 arc eye hawkfish - aggressive and eats crabs and shrimp??
1 pistol shrimp
1 harlequin shrimp

Hey convict, I looked up your stocking list here is what I came up with

2 Occ clowns - peaceful
2 banggai cardinal - semi aggressive
1 six line wrasse - semi aggressive
2 orange spot goby - peaceful
1 arc eye hawkfish - aggressive and eats crabs and shrimp??
1 pistol shrimp
1 harlequin shrimp

Yup that's my list. I've had no issues with them at all. It's only 1 spotted goby. My hawkfish hasn't touched my shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom