cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm using gravel in the fresh tank. Planted and driftwood. Or tap water is high but I'm gonna leave it at,7.8 but I need to get my salt tank Ph up

I'm using gravel in the fresh tank. Planted and driftwood. Or tap water is high but I'm gonna leave it at,7.8 but I need to get my salt tank Ph up

The main thing is to keep PH stable. Salt is a bit more critical for inverts and corals. The alkalinity (kh) allows corals to utilize the calcium more efficiently. The PH buffer raises the kh also.

if my nitrite gets to zero how long do I have before I need to put fish in it?

Once ammonia spikes and zeros, nitrite spikes and zeros, then you can do a PWC the day they are zero and add a fish that day. :) no waiting necessary.

yeah I got that but will it hurt to wait another week or do I need to throw a pinch of food to keep feeding the bacteria?

the nitrites are dropping quick and I can't make it to the closest saltwater fish store till the end of next week :-(

Imo I would throw a finely ground pinch of flake food in every other day. Anyone have a better suggestion.

I threw some in yesterday and today. Also the guy at ac told me I could get by without a heater for water changes cause I'm only doing 4 gal at a time

I threw some in yesterday and today. Also the guy at ac told me I could get by without a heater for water changes cause I'm only doing 4 gal at a time

I would IMSO always try and temp match the best you can. I use a digital thermometer to gauge both the mixing batch and the displays tanks temp. Doesn't matter how much your changing. I do 5 gallon water changes on a 29 gallon bio cube and bring to proper temp every time.

You can do what you want though... We can only offer advice and such....

I think IMO he is wrong.

Ok so I checked my water and the specific gravity is between 1.022 and 1.023 if you recall my hydrometer wasn't correct according to a lfs. mine was reading 1.026 and their refractometer was reading 1.030 so I lowered the salt. I put exactly 2 cups of IO in 4 gallons of water and its reading the same as my tank according to my incorrect hydrometer between 1.022 and 1.023

I would take out just over 4gal at water change. Add your 4gal of salt water and top the tank off with straight distilled water. If you don't, you will still be at least 2 points too high.

I would take out just over 4gal at water change. Add your 4gal of salt water and top the tank off with straight distilled water. If you don't, you will still be at least 2 points too high.

I'm not following if I pull 4 out and put 4 back how would I be off?

Back
Top Bottom