cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I plan on doing my pwcs on Saturday so maybe check calcium and kh on Wednesday and dose if needed then check everything else on Saturdays after my pwc

So I plan on doing my pwcs on Saturday so maybe check calcium and kh on Wednesday and dose if needed then check everything else on Saturdays after my pwc

I check everything at the same time on mine. Usually a couple days before a pwc. If anything looks like it needs adjusting I'll test that specific thing after the pwc and adjust if needed.

I check everything at the same time on mine. Usually a couple days before a pwc. If anything looks like it needs adjusting I'll test that specific thing after the pwc and adjust if needed.

So I check on Thursdays then and if something is off I treat it after my pwc on Saturday then retest?

I'm just trying to work out an easy schedule. I hate to test more than needed

That's the cool part of this hobby. Tailor it to your preferences. Everybody's tanks react differently to a huge variety of stimuli. Different water, salt, corals, filtration, fish, light.......
Just figure out what works best for you. I test midway of my pwc. Unless something is looking low. Then I test that specific parameter the day of water change and dose if needed.

That's the cool part of this hobby. Tailor it to your preferences. Everybody's tanks react differently to a huge variety of stimuli. Different water, salt, corals, filtration, fish, light.......
Just figure out what works best for you. I test midway of my pwc. Unless something is looking low. Then I test that specific parameter the day of water change and dose if needed.

Ok cool. As of now I don't do anything other than pwcs I read code b says to dose every other day and I don't want to do that. I like not having to add anything to my water lol.

I suggest testing on Wednesday, pwc Saturday, retest anything that looked like it was needing adjustment 30 min after pwc. If you need to dose that's the time to do it. Most times the pwc will bring everything back to Target range. It's just better safe than sorry so I double check after pwc to make sure the parameters that concerned me are better. Keep a journal just for the aquarium. Date time temp and write down all your test results. Write down days you added livestock. It makes it easier to figure out what the tank is doing.

Ok cool. As of now I don't do anything other than pwcs I read code b says to dose every other day and I don't want to do that. I like not having to add anything to my water lol.

Yeah, KH aids in corals ability to absorb calcium. Best not to raise it too fast.

I suggest testing on Wednesday, pwc Saturday, retest anything that looked like it was needing adjustment 30 min after pwc. If you need to dose that's the time to do it. Most times the pwc will bring everything back to Target range. It's just better safe than sorry so I double check after pwc to make sure the parameters that concerned me are better. Keep a journal just for the aquarium. Date time temp and write down all your test results. Write down days you added livestock. It makes it easier to figure out what the tank is doing.

Like this? I made it with excel

ForumRunner_20130204_201123.jpg

ForumRunner_20130204_201133.jpg

Bookmarked. I'm mainly worried about my nitrates being 20. The water changes don't seem to change it and my Ph dropped from 8.2 to 8

My nitrate bounces between 10 and 20 (which isn't dangerously high). I will try the tap water rinse for my filters and reduce feeding. Going to make me nervous about a mini cycle though. Surface agitation helps with PH. I run an airline in my skimmer so that helps me keep PH stable.

You could lower your water level a bit so your filter agitates the surface more.

Do you have the PH buffer? I buffer mine if it falls below 8.0
I'm going to pick up some purigen next time I'm at AC then do the filter rinse in tap.

That sea gel only removes phosphates and helps with water clarity, nothing about removing Trites trates ammonia. If you ever run into a phosphate problem it would help. You may or may not ever have that problem though. That purigen looks good though.

Ok cool no I don't have a buffer.
Omg I just rinsed my 4 filters out which consists of 4 plastic holders, 4 carbon inserts, 2 foam inserts.
I swished around in tank water Sunday and the water was clear. I looked, like I filtered mud with them they were nasty, definitely would have been a problem

Back
Top Bottom