Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

cloudy water

Ok I got my tank setup. Got salt in it. I was told I could add the salt to the tank this time cause there isn't anything live in it. I have 2lbs of live rock in a bag of water from the pet store. My hydrometer says 1.025 the water is pretty cloudy is it ok to add the live rock our should I wait till tomorrow?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwandrsn View Post
Ok I got my tank setup. Got salt in it. I was told I could add the salt to the tank this time cause there isn't anything live in it. I have 2lbs of live rock in a bag of water from the pet store. My hydrometer says 1.025 the water is pretty cloudy is it ok to add the live rock our should I wait till tomorrow?
What size tank?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

36 gallon bow front
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
36 gallon bow front
You ideally want to add your live rock first then your sand. Reason for this is incase you get any live stock or inverts that may shift, dig or sift through the sand, it may shift and you'd have to worry about the rocks.

With that said, I'd get more live rock if you can. It will help with filtration, you could use base rock as well it become live eventually.

I wouldn't suggest adding salt directly into your tank, get into the practice of measuring and mixing. You should also look into a refractometer as they are more accurate.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I already have sand and dead rock in tank. Just adding some live to seed
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok I already have sand and dead rock in tank. Just adding some live to seed
Ok then you can add it all now

Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I know to mix in buckets but.I was just doing it the first time. Its been about 30 minutes since I added salt. I didn't know if the cloudy water would kill the live rock. The guy at the store told me to put salt in and wait until tomorrow to add live rock
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is how it looks

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130119_201811.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	145515

So how long does it take for the salt mix? Will I have to worry about the level changing. Its reading 1.025-1.026 I read that the cloudiness is cause the salt isn't mixed all the way. And you said go ahead and add live rock
Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Here is how it looks

So how long does it take for the salt mix? Will I have to worry about the level changing. Its reading 1.025-1.026 I read that the cloudiness is cause the salt isn't mixed all the way. And you said go ahead and add live rock
That's normal. You can add the live rock to help seed. The cloudiness could be that or the sand.

That's why I wouldn't mix salt into the tank directly because if it raises (salinity) you'll have to take some out and add straight RO/DI water to lower it. If you mix in a 5 gallon bucket use a power head and a heater your pretty much safe and good to go.

I keep my tank at 1.026 btw so that's not bad. Stability is key, you don't want swings. Inverts are extremely sensitive to salinity swings.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah I'm just trying to get it cycling. The guy I got it from drained it and let everything dry out. So the rock and sand was making it a little cloudy. I'm assuming it will go away eventually

I brushed the rock off some and rinsed the sand some before I added it

So I should look into getting a cheap power head and a heater to mix in buckets.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com