cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I got my tank setup. Got salt in it. I was told I could add the salt to the tank this time cause there isn't anything live in it. I have 2lbs of live rock in a bag of water from the pet store. My hydrometer says 1.025 the water is pretty cloudy is it ok to add the live rock our should I wait till tomorrow?

Ok I got my tank setup. Got salt in it. I was told I could add the salt to the tank this time cause there isn't anything live in it. I have 2lbs of live rock in a bag of water from the pet store. My hydrometer says 1.025 the water is pretty cloudy is it ok to add the live rock our should I wait till tomorrow?

What size tank?

36 gallon bow front

You ideally want to add your live rock first then your sand. Reason for this is incase you get any live stock or inverts that may shift, dig or sift through the sand, it may shift and you'd have to worry about the rocks.

With that said, I'd get more live rock if you can. It will help with filtration, you could use base rock as well it become live eventually.

I wouldn't suggest adding salt directly into your tank, get into the practice of measuring and mixing. You should also look into a refractometer as they are more accurate.

Ok I know to mix in buckets but.I was just doing it the first time. Its been about 30 minutes since I added salt. I didn't know if the cloudy water would kill the live rock. The guy at the store told me to put salt in and wait until tomorrow to add live rock

Here is how it looks

ForumRunner_20130119_201811.jpg

So how long does it take for the salt mix? Will I have to worry about the level changing. Its reading 1.025-1.026 I read that the cloudiness is cause the salt isn't mixed all the way. And you said go ahead and add live rock

Here is how it looks

So how long does it take for the salt mix? Will I have to worry about the level changing. Its reading 1.025-1.026 I read that the cloudiness is cause the salt isn't mixed all the way. And you said go ahead and add live rock

That's normal. You can add the live rock to help seed. The cloudiness could be that or the sand.

That's why I wouldn't mix salt into the tank directly because if it raises (salinity) you'll have to take some out and add straight RO/DI water to lower it. If you mix in a 5 gallon bucket use a power head and a heater your pretty much safe and good to go.

I keep my tank at 1.026 btw so that's not bad. Stability is key, you don't want swings. Inverts are extremely sensitive to salinity swings.

yeah I'm just trying to get it cycling. The guy I got it from drained it and let everything dry out. So the rock and sand was making it a little cloudy. I'm assuming it will go away eventually

I brushed the rock off some and rinsed the sand some before I added it

So I should look into getting a cheap power head and a heater to mix in buckets.

yeah I'm just trying to get it cycling. The guy I got it from drained it and let everything dry out. So the rock and sand was making it a little cloudy. I'm assuming it will go away eventually

I brushed the rock off some and rinsed the sand some before I added it

So I should look into getting a cheap power head and a heater to mix in buckets.

I would. That's how I did it. Others may have different ideas. I used a cheap power head and a heater. Let mix over night then test. If it was good I added it and was done! 1... 2... 3 done :)

Ok cool sound good to me. And I know better but I didn't use ro water. I used filtered water I have a filter system that removes chlorine and stuff but it isn't ro. Only option I had was $11.50 jugs of water and that is outrageous imo. I plan on using distilled water for changes and top offs

Ok cool sound good to me. And I know better but I didn't use ro water. I used filtered water I have a filter system that removes chlorine and stuff but it isn't ro. Only option I had was $11.50 jugs of water and that is outrageous imo. I plan on using distilled water for changes and top offs

That's ok for now but definitely switched to at least distilled water.

That filtered water still has "stuff" in it and you may not see the effects for months.

no fish stores around me sells water. Guy at, store said I may have issue with algae but I can control that.

When I have the money I will buy an ro system

Yeah I bought a bucket of salt so I'm good for a minute. It took less than what I figured to get it to 1.025

The water was a little cloudy to begin with and worse since salt I'll wait an hour then add the live rock.

I was told to keep temp at 77-80

Yeah I bought a bucket of salt so I'm good for a minute. It took less than what I figured to get it to 1.025

The water was a little cloudy to begin with and worse since salt I'll wait an hour then add the live rock.

I was told to keep temp at 77-80

75/76 is good. 77/80 is ok just watch it doesn't get higher. I keep mine at 76

The water was at 78. I turned the heater to 80. Its a little messed up its a stealth and they are sending me a free one I don't know the wattage. I'm trying to figure out where I need it set at. I don't have a lid which hurts and I'm not sure if its 100 or 150 watt

I had it all the way up trying to get to temp

The water was at 78. I turned the heater to 80. Its a little messed up its a stealth and they are sending me a free one I don't know the wattage. I'm trying to figure out where I need it set at. I don't have a lid which hurts and I'm not sure if its 100 or 150 watt

You don't need a lid on a saltwater tank. Your better off without one. Get the new heater and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom