Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

cloudy water and other wierd things

the tank is about a month old. the cloudiness appears around 11am and ends around 4pm with it peeking in cloudiness around 2pm.
right now the tank is perfectly clear. its 7pm.
my lighting cycles 12hrs on 12hrs off. 8am to 8pm.
purple filaments appear after water has cleared. the filaments diappear over night.
repeat...

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

is your tank cycled? Also if your tank is near a bunch of windows that could have something to do with it. We need to know more about your tank. Do you have live rock? That could be causing it. Or your substrate may not have settled...but after a month it should have already. I'm not sure about the purple filaments.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Do you test for pH, calcium and alkalinity? If you have these kits I would check pH in am before lights on, then check it several times during lights on and after lights out. You could be seeing some big pH swing which may be affecting calcium and carbonate solubility and causing the cloudiness. Also, is there much of a temp swing from lights off to lights on? The purple things....cyano maybe...
Old 11-11-2003, 01:42 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I don't know any that do it like this...but it sounds like some sort of spawning event...are there any corals or LR in the tank? Any fish that might just wake up at those times and start disturbing the sand bed? If you look closely does the cloudiness look like particulates, or smoke in the water?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe it is sun related. today the tank stayed clear all day. it was cloudy all day.
Will post again after next sunny day. or if cloudiness reappears

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Day 2 no cloudiness in tank and clouds out side. cloudiness seems to be dependent on sunlight. Is this bad for salt water?

I still have those wierd threads of purplish stuff. It reminds me of the bottom of some thermal spring at Yellowstone.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 11-12-2003, 08:07 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Day 2 no cloudiness in tank and clouds out side. cloudiness seems to be dependent on sunlight.
This would indicate that your tank is receiving direct sunlight and you are experiencing an algae bloom. Maybe you should cover the window or move the tank.

Quote:
I still have those wierd threads of purplish stuff.
Sounds like cyano bacteria which is fueled by excess nutrients, this would also support the cloudiness being an algae bloom. I would do a water change using RO/DI water use RO/DI water for top off, feed less and if your not running one, use a protien skimmer.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
This would indicate that your tank is receiving direct sunlight
no direct sunlight just a sunny room

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 11-12-2003, 10:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Sounds like cyano bacteria which is fueled by excess nutrients, this would also support the cloudiness being an algae bloom. I would do a water change using RO/DI water use RO/DI water for top off, feed less and if your not running one, use a protien skimmer.
have protien skimmer.
am feeding most every day and only enough that the fish eat in a few seconds. is there a way to test for these excess nutrients before a water change

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 11-12-2003, 11:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Do you use RO/DI water for water changes and/or topoffs. You can test for nitrates and phosphates, these are the two biggest culprits associated with algae blooms. Test the tank water and then test your water change water after adding salt and bringing to proper SG. If you are using tap water it can be high in NO3 and PO4.
As to the sunlight thing, are you seeing an algae bloom or is the sunlight just allowing you to see cloudiness that is already there. Sometimes when I let sunlight shine through the sides of my tank the water takes on an entirely different appearance....just a thought.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com