Cloudy Water out of the Blue Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys

My water got cloudy overnight. Ive had the tank set up for about a month now its a 55 gallon fish tank and everything seems normal, besides the cloudy water. I have a small ora tank bred clown, three yellow tail damsels and a yellow tang. I also have a jasmine polyp and a torch anemone. I know i should of waited longer to add all of this but its too late now. I also have 10 hermit crabs and 10 snails. My levels are all normal, the temp fluctuates between 74-76 through out the day, and sg is 1.025. I have three 500 gph powerheads, overhang filter (I know not very good but in the process in saving for an upgrade), a protein skimmer, two 2x54 watt t5ho lights so 4 bulbs total, and i used tap water to fill it up (I know again bad but i have been using RO/DI water from the LFS to replace evaporation). Should i do a water change? I also just experienced a large diatom bloom but it has gotten under control and pink and green algae has begun to grow on my rocks. Is my clean up crew not sufficient enough? Any help would be great. Also at the end of this year im upgrading to a 150 gallon since ill need more room for my fish i just wanted to start of small first and get a fill for the hobby. I have always had freshwater (which is currently in the 150 gallon) but wanted to make the switch. Sorry for the long post but any help would be great.

Thanks,
Albie

Diatoms happen in all new tanks. Gotta give us specific readings, as "levels are normal" won't help us diagnose. Nitrate. Nitrite. Phosphate. Ph.

What are your feeding habits? What and how often? How did you cycle the tank by the way?

Diatoms happen in all new tanks. Gotta give us specific readings, as "levels are normal" won't help us diagnose. Nitrate. Nitrite. Phosphate. Ph.

What are your feeding habits? What and how often? How did you cycle the tank by the way?

Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate is around 0.5, pH is 8.3. So they seem pretty normal and i feed my fish twice a week. I got this insant cycle stuff cant remember the exact name then i let it run for about 2 and half weeks and added some clean up crew and after 3 and half weeks i started adding some fish. I know i should of waited longer for the cycling process but thats in the past and i know better for next time now. Also i do not have phospate tester but ill get one soon

also all my fish and corals are acting normal and doesnt seem to affect them.\

Thanks

what pink and green algae is forming on the rocks? is it cyanobacteria, or coralline algae?
if it's soft, stringy algae with bubbles in it, then it's cyanobacteria, a sure sign of excessive nutrients. water changes and manual removal are the cure for that.

if you read back, you will see that you apologized for multiple things, saying "i know i know...for next time". if i had to guess, i would say it's the consequences from all of these things you feel are sub-par.

what i would do is get on a weekly water change schedule and put some carbon in the HOB filter. that should clear it up.

what pink and green algae is forming on the rocks? is it cyanobacteria, or coralline algae?
if it's soft, stringy algae with bubbles in it, then it's cyanobacteria, a sure sign of excessive nutrients. water changes and manual removal are the cure for that.

if you read back, you will see that you apologized for multiple things, saying "i know i know...for next time". if i had to guess, i would say it's the consequences from all of these things you feel are sub-par.

what i would do is get on a weekly water change schedule and put some carbon in the HOB filter. that should clear it up.

I felt the pink algea and it just felt like rock and no bubbles and doesnt look hairy, but i really dont know. Is there a better way to describe it or I can post a pic tomorrow.

if it's hard, and doesn't wipe off easily, it's coralline algae. that's good algae. yes, pics would be awesome!

...I know i should of waited longer for the cycling process but thats in the past and i know better for next time now. ...

I think that answers the question about why your water is cloudy. Cloudy water is often due to a bacteria "bloom", meaning your bacteria is trying to catch up with your bioload. It's a nice way of saying you're cycling. Having 5 fish in a 55g, just after a month of setting up is way too many, too fast.

Are you using liquid test kits for those ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? Or test strips?

Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrites levels. With how many fish were added there over the course of a few days, I'm thinking your ammonia levels are not zero - or at least won't be in the near future. If you don't have any premixed saltwater stored (at tank temperature, preferably) for emergency water changes, it might be a good time to do so - just in case.

Back
Top Bottom