Clown and nem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought what is supposedly an African yellow anemone with a Seabae clown but I've never had a clown host a nem before so what exactly does the clown give the nem?
Do I still have feed the nem even though the clown does? Should I get another anemone for my clown? If I should get another anemone then what would you suggest?
Thanks for the help :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Well, tbh I'd be concerned about you adding them. Weren't you just having troubles in the last several weeks? Sebae are very difficult anemone to keep.
I know we talked about the anemone your lfs having being a sebae. There is no guarantee that the anemone will allow the hosting of the clown. This relationship can be helpful, but it can also be harmful if the clown is too rough.
You do NOT need to feed any photosynthetic anemones. If the clown does it if they form a bond, great.
Why would you want another anemone if you have one? The odds are still the same when it comes to forming such a relationship.
That said, I want to say that it is the larger maroon clowns that will pair up with sebae...is this what you got? If not, they aren't likely to even think about it.

Well I've been having problems with the lighting I just recently got LED lights for my aquarium which can produce enough light for nems and soft corals. the clown is a Seabae clown it seems to me they have a bond. The clown is constantly in and out of the nem I originally bought the two because the clown was in it so much but the reason for wanting another nem is due to the fact that every tank I see usually has at least two nems for the clowns they have.

Well, no clue what a sebae clown is...so you must mean Blue Stripe Anemonefish, Orangefin Anemonefish - Amphiprion chrysopterus
The clown being together with the sebae will help with the sebae's acclimation to the tank, as this is where they struggle and don't do well. Once acclimated they are very hardy.
You do not need a second anemone for the clown. Do people have more than one anemone? Yes sometimes, but not for the relationship. Mine paired up with my rbta and love it...to the point where they bite me when I pull algae off the rock near it. I also have a long tentacle anemone and a carpet anemone, but they aren't for the clowns they were for the challenge and cool factor.

Alright I have no idea what type of clown it is that's what my LFS calls them I could post a pic of both the nem and clown if you'd like that way I could also get an accurate name for the clown

Well I've been having problems with the lighting I just recently got LED lights for my aquarium which can produce enough light for nems and soft corals. the clown is a Seabae clown it seems to me they have a bond. The clown is constantly in and out of the nem I originally bought the two because the clown was in it so much but the reason for wanting another nem is due to the fact that every tank I see usually has at least two nems for the clowns they have.

What lighting did you get? Softies and nems have very different light intensity requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have current marine orbit LED lights I can program everything remotely and save it I have the intensities maxed out in the tank I don't have corals just a nem

Personal experience that led isn't enough for some nem.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed from personal experience they won't be enough for any nem! Maybe a carpet

LPS? And it says on the box and in the description its bright enough to support nems the LEDs are only on a 40gallon its not a ginormous tank or anything

LPS? And it says on the box and in the description its bright enough to support nems the LEDs are only on a 40gallon its not a ginormous tank or anything

The orbit uses weak LEDs and try's to make up for it with cool features, it's not a strong light though, you want something using stronger leds (usually 3w LEDs are best).
And no description on any website I've seen (including their own) says that one of these will support an anemone.

I do wish they wouldn't advertise lights with a picture of a clown in an anemone though. Not the only company to do it, but it's still the same. Totally misleading.

Not on all nem, I have that LED on for 3 of my nem right now for almost a year now. I got it for my octopus nem, rock nem, and my long tent nem.

What it failed on me was carpet nem and bubble nem.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So your saying that this light is actually pretty good then???

Back
Top Bottom