clown trigger and corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisheye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I just added a clown trigger to my 75 gallon tank. The trigger is very small now. 1.5 inches. I have been told that he eat snails and hermits but so far (one week) I have not noticed missing cleaners.
My question is: is there any kind of coral (soft or hard) I can keep in the tank together with this trigger ? What about anemones, starfish and/or shrimps ? Is he really so vicious ?

thanks

1. The Clown Triggerfish is found along the inner and outer portions of a reef in the wild, wherever shellfish and other invertebrates are found.

2. I believe they need at least 125G tank and will move rock around....

Maybe some one with personal experience can be of more assistance....

Hi fisheye, I'm a total trigger nut though by far not the most advanced.

I've never owned a clown trigger before (but have had Picosso & Nigers) they are surprisingly slow growing so you'll be OK size wise in the tank for a while. He will get too big for a 75 though and will need about a 125 to live comfortably.

My triggers in the past were fine for a while with inverts..."for a while" is the key words though. Eventually they get hungry and start to nip at the inverts and then munch! Keeping him well fed will only delay the inevitable. I've found my triggers liked to pick on inverts for fun, never eating just breaking them. Pretty much every invert & live coral will be heavily damaged if not killed by him eventually, an expensive snack will all they'll become...sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that one.

You might want to consider replicated corals...that's what I use and maybe set up a Refuge and get your inverts out of the big tank and into it.

P.S. Not to scare you, but be mindful of your fingers when he gets big. I know someone who had to get stitches from her nearly 1 foot long Clown Trigger's bite.

Jess

Back
Top Bottom