Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
clown trigger and corals

I just added a clown trigger to my 75 gallon tank. The trigger is very small now. 1.5 inches. I have been told that he eat snails and hermits but so far (one week) I have not noticed missing cleaners.
My question is: is there any kind of coral (soft or hard) I can keep in the tank together with this trigger ? What about anemones, starfish and/or shrimps ? Is he really so vicious ?

fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
1. The Clown Triggerfish is found along the inner and outer portions of a reef in the wild, wherever shellfish and other invertebrates are found.

2. I believe they need at least 125G tank and will move rock around....

Maybe some one with personal experience can be of more assistance....

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi fisheye, I'm a total trigger nut though by far not the most advanced.

I've never owned a clown trigger before (but have had Picosso & Nigers) they are surprisingly slow growing so you'll be OK size wise in the tank for a while. He will get too big for a 75 though and will need about a 125 to live comfortably.

My triggers in the past were fine for a while with inverts..."for a while" is the key words though. Eventually they get hungry and start to nip at the inverts and then munch! Keeping him well fed will only delay the inevitable. I've found my triggers liked to pick on inverts for fun, never eating just breaking them. Pretty much every invert & live coral will be heavily damaged if not killed by him eventually, an expensive snack will all they'll become...sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that one.

You might want to consider replicated corals...that's what I use and maybe set up a Refuge and get your inverts out of the big tank and into it.

P.S. Not to scare you, but be mindful of your fingers when he gets big. I know someone who had to get stitches from her nearly 1 foot long Clown Trigger's bite.

Rejoice is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, clown trigger, coral, corals, trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com