Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kopitar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys i have a question

I started a 77 gallon about a month ago with 77 lbs of live rock . Added first fish today a black and white clown (a lil orange around his mouth)

Added him to tank and hes doin great no clue if hes male or female or type of specie..
My plan was to have an orange couple clownfish,, and one black and white solo, so 3 total..
But reading a bit today on the internet alot of ppl say not to do this cause the solo clownfish will eventualy end up dying
Is this true ? Can 3 clownfish (2 orange 1 black) co-exist in 77g ?

Thanks for the answers im a beginner at SW

Even if the 2 oranges clown i put them in as juvenile ?

Is there a better chance of working with 4 total ?

2 black 2 orange ?

If you would have added them all together at the same time at a very young age then it would be doable. Once you have an established pair though they won't take kindly to newcomers.

So if i decide to make a couple with 1 black 1 orange does the orange clown has to be juvenile since the black one was there first ?

When coupling clowns togather its best to have one large and the other very small. This is because they are all born as males and as they get older and mature the most dominant male will become a female and the rest of the males will lay in wait to either breed with her or if she dies to replace her as the breeding female.

Thanks for all the answers

Mrc do you see any problem with coupling a black with a orange ?

I've personally never seen it done but I have heard people talk about it working. I can see it being possible though as it must have happened at some point to create the different morphs but for how easy it would be is beyond me. Maybe someone with experience in clownfish breeding could help you out since a lot of times they will selectively breed new traits. Try searching YouTube or google as well and you may come up with your answer.

Well i took a chance today and bought a super small orange clownfish to try to introduce to the tank with the reg size B & W clownfish same specie (ocellaris) ... I dont know if its too soon to jump to conclusion but theyr already best friends . They swin next to each other dance together and big one hasnt hurt the small one so far in the contrary he seems to love him. :)) happy bout that :))

My first pair nemo and omen

Attachments

• image-1220786821.jpg
    image-1220786821.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 71
They just love each other :)

Attachments

• image-1041691259.jpg
    image-1041691259.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3615768129.jpg
    image-3615768129.jpg