Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kowalski

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I put a clownfish by himself in a 5 gallon tank? Or is it beat to keep two clowns in a 10 or 20 gallon

Depending on the clown and how frequent the water changes, you could put one in a 5. But I would be very wary about putting any fish into a tank that small. I'd say you're better off putting one in a 10g or two in 20g.

What fishlover07 said, the poor thing needs room to swim and 5 gallons really will not cut it.

Clownfish need lots of space. I was considering putting one in my 10 gallon and still felt that would not be enough space for one. IMO, I think a 20 gallon would be minimum.

Clownfish need lots of space. I was considering putting one in my 10 gallon and still felt that would not be enough space for one. IMO, I think a 20 gallon would be minimum.

Is there anything I can put into a 5 gal? Like a firefish with a hermit crab with some live rock and corals

You could definitely do inverts. For fish maybe a clown goby or a neon goby. I think both would work.

Both as in either one would work but not both at the same time. Sorry, thought I should clarify that.

IMO, I don't think a 5 is big enough. I have one in my 10 and I couldn't see him being as happy in anything smaller. But this is just my opinion, if I were you I'd google around and see what other people think, or wait for some more opinions. :)

IMO, I don't think a 5 is big enough. I have one in my 10 and I couldn't see him being as happy in anything smaller. But this is just my opinion, if I were you I'd google around and see what other people think, or wait for some more opinions. :)

Thanks for the opinion :) greatly appreciated. I don't want to make a mistake like that guy did with the fish in a 5 gallon, clearly not suitable for that fish

Definitely either a neon or a clown goby would work. A couple hermit crabs and some snails too. If you want bigger fish, you'll honestly just need a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom