Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought two clownfish about a month ago. The LFS said they fight a little to determine gender and eventually the female would become larger than the male. The problem is they are both the same size and i read an article that said if you bought them the same size one wouldn't change to female. Is this true? I'd also like to breed at some point, so what is the best way to pair clownfish?

One will eventually change to female, that is somewhat assured. The problem with introducing same sized fish is there will be more aggression than would be with dissimilar sizes. Establishing dominance would be much faster and the risk of one possibley killing the other much less if oddly matched. The other issue depending on the size of the clowns when aquired, is they both may already be female and once changed, there's no going back and if a smaller tank, one would most definately try to kill the weaker of the pair.

If the choices are limited, try to get the absolute smallest possible ¾-1" or there about. That will help ensure they are still nueter or at the very least still male.

Cheers
Steve

You probably should have seen some dimorphism after a month.. might be worth exchanging one for a juvenile.

Atari said:
You probably should have seen some dimorphism after a month.. might be worth exchanging one for a juvenile.

I also recently purchased a pair of false clowns, one is "slightly" bigger than the other, but not extremely so. My question is how in the world do you tell??? what is this dimorphism??? Mine seem to get along great, swim together, in form, eat together, the only chasing I've ever seen them do is when I first put my freshwater molly in the tank they wouldn't leave it alone for awhile, but as near as I can tell they are bestestest of friends by their behaviour. Is there any other way to tell if one is female or not???

Thanks, Joshua...

The difference will become quite apparent over time.. one will start to grow much faster than the other and eventually will be almost twice the size. The bigger, dominant one will become the female and the small one will remain male.

All clownfish are born male.

Thanks for the correction Steve.

Gerald, dimorphism just means a physical difference between two similar individuals. In the case of clownfish where the female is bigger than the male, you would say there is sexual dimorphism within the species.

Hope I worded that correctly.. sometimes I get mixed up because English isn't my first language. :?

dimorphism - The existence among animals of the same species of two distinct forms that differ in one or more characteristics, such as coloration, size, or shape.

haha, my first language was Hick, just for the record, and thanks for clarifying about my clowns, I'm now almost positive that they will pair up :D

Thanks, Joshua...

I'm starting to think mine won't. They get along very well. They always seem to be right together and i've never seen them fight. What would happen if i introduced another smaller clown or two?

mattmku said:
They get along very well. They always seem to be right together and i've never seen them fight.
That would indicate that they have paired up. If it's the fact they haven't mated yet, that isn't always a given. My skunks didn't start producing eggs for almost 5 years. Any aggressive fish in the tank will also hold them back.

What would happen if i introduced another smaller clown or two?
Depending on the size of your tank it would mean almost certain death for the new arrival.

Cheers
Steve

so even though they are about the same size as long as they seemed to be paired thay probably are?

mattmku said:
so even though they are about the same size as long as they seemed to be paired thay probably are?
Pretty much. Sooner or later you will notice changes in the relationship and body sizing. They may yet be too sexually imature for things to be noticed as yet.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom