Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to FeedingFrenzy20
Clownfish

i have had an O. Clownfish for a couple of weeks and was thinking about changing tanks would i be able to put another clownfish in the same tank at the same time.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If it's a small one, you'd probably be fine. I've kept Ocellaris clowns together several different times and have never had any agression issues with them. Most other clowns don't appreciate company of their own kind though. YMMV.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Getting a captive bred juvenile clown fish is your best bet because you will know for sure it hasn't gone thru a sex change. Buying a small wild caught clown can still be a female and it's a chance you will have to take and the parasites and disease it might have.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
i added another clown maybe 2 weeks after adding the first. They dont fight at all...seem to be getting along. Both are Ocellaris.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

don't want to add too fast... I'd seperate them three or four weeks apart, also are you doing a fishless cycle on the new tank?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to FeedingFrenzy20
yeah tank is already cycled
Old 03-10-2005, 05:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
dude my lfs keeps a whole tank full of tank bred O. clowns when they're babies, people buy them in pairs because they are unisex until they grow up and the bigger one becomes the female. if the clown is still small i would try adding another baby clown and see how they respond.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just got another clownfish and put it with my other one that has been there for about 1month1/2 and there doing fine.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan G.
people buy them in pairs because they are unisex until they grow up and the bigger one becomes the female.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the more dominant one that becomes female?? I'm not trying to challenge you Jon G., I just want to be sure.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 PM   #10
steve-s

The more dominant one is more often also the larger. Two nueter clowns of the same size can be introduced to a tank at the same time and one will eventually establish dominance and then begin the change to a female. It can take several months or a few short weeks. Once that happens the other nueter will eventually change to male while at the same time stunting it's growth.

Once the female/male roles are established, the dominant female will always remain the larger. It can be quite fascinating to see as they age. The female can get quite huge while the male remains as much as ½ her size. He can in fact sometimes remain close to the size of when originally introduced although with much more "gurth".

In the wild, perc/O clowns actually live in family groups (space issues in the home aquarium) where there is one dominant female, one dominant male and the rest remain nueter. When either the female or male die, one of the remaining nueters (usually the next largest) takes on that role.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com