Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeedingFrenzy20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have had an O. Clownfish for a couple of weeks and was thinking about changing tanks would i be able to put another clownfish in the same tank at the same time.

If it's a small one, you'd probably be fine. I've kept Ocellaris clowns together several different times and have never had any agression issues with them. Most other clowns don't appreciate company of their own kind though. YMMV.

Getting a captive bred juvenile clown fish is your best bet because you will know for sure it hasn't gone thru a sex change. Buying a small wild caught clown can still be a female and it's a chance you will have to take and the parasites and disease it might have.

i added another clown maybe 2 weeks after adding the first. They dont fight at all...seem to be getting along. Both are Ocellaris.

don't want to add too fast... I'd seperate them three or four weeks apart, also are you doing a fishless cycle on the new tank?

dude my lfs keeps a whole tank full of tank bred O. clowns when they're babies, people buy them in pairs because they are unisex until they grow up and the bigger one becomes the female. if the clown is still small i would try adding another baby clown and see how they respond.

I just got another clownfish and put it with my other one that has been there for about 1month1/2 and there doing fine.

Jonathan G. said:
people buy them in pairs because they are unisex until they grow up and the bigger one becomes the female.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the more dominant one that becomes female?? I'm not trying to challenge you Jon G., I just want to be sure. :wink:

The more dominant one is more often also the larger. Two nueter clowns of the same size can be introduced to a tank at the same time and one will eventually establish dominance and then begin the change to a female. It can take several months or a few short weeks. Once that happens the other nueter will eventually change to male while at the same time stunting it's growth.

Once the female/male roles are established, the dominant female will always remain the larger. It can be quite fascinating to see as they age. The female can get quite huge while the male remains as much as ½ her size. He can in fact sometimes remain close to the size of when originally introduced although with much more "gurth".

In the wild, perc/O clowns actually live in family groups (space issues in the home aquarium) where there is one dominant female, one dominant male and the rest remain nueter. When either the female or male die, one of the remaining nueters (usually the next largest) takes on that role.

Cheers
Steve

I have kept two tank raised percs in a 38 gallon together no problem.

Once they establish male/female will they breed? Or is it harder to do than that?

I plan on getting two or three when I set my 38 gallon back up. They have always been one of my favorite fish. Plus the women like nemo :wink:

AR15 guy said:
Once they establish male/female will they breed? Or is it harder to do than that?
Up to them really, not alot you can do about it directly. Indirectly you can help by maintaining good water quality, nutritious foods and a low stress evironment. Aggressive tank mates can inhibit their "desire" if you will for breeding. It will also help if there is an area in the tank they are able to protect easily enough. Often a small cave or outcroping is sufficent where there is med-low water flow.

I plan on getting two or three when I set my 38 gallon back up. They have always been one of my favorite fish.
Stick with only two in such a small tank. Once paired the "happy couple" will not tolerate a third given the space of a 38 gal.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom