Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

clownfish!

hey on live aquaria it said if u acclimate different species of tank bred clownfish at the same time they will be fine with each other..is this true because i wanted to put a tank bred ocellerous clown with a black perculia clown in a nano cube..would this be ok?

Old 05-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I'm not sure at all. I would think that as the fish started maturing it'd cause issues. Let us know what you decide to do.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

well i think im gonna go ahead and try it...might as well be the pioneer!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I agree with devil. Once they mature, agrression will be a big problem. Don't do it if ur tank is not BIG.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

hmmm///well then i guess i wont then
Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to DeathWarp
2 Occ. clowns would be alright, that way they can decide whichever one of them will mature into what sex. By adding the 3rd, it will start to cause fighting for the dominant possition.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the black clownfish at alive aquaria are amphiprion ocellaris var....i'm no expert, but doesn't that mean that it is actually an ocellaris and not a percula?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams
the black clownfish at alive aquaria are amphiprion ocellaris var....i'm no expert, but doesn't that mean that it is actually an ocellaris and not a percula?
Black clowns are indeed an ocellaris.

There is no reason why you can't put an ocellaris with a percula or a regular ocellaris with a black ocellaris. They will pair just fine no different than two of the exact smae species as long as you observe the normal conditions for pairing clowns. The only exception being they might not produce offspring.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams
Black clowns are indeed an ocellaris.

There is no reason why you can't put an ocellaris with a percula or a regular ocellaris with a black ocellaris. They will pair just fine no different than two of the exact smae species as long as you observe the normal conditions for pairing clowns. The only exception being they might not produce offspring.

Cheers
Steve

but what happens if i order a black ocellaris and a regular ocelleris and i end up with two males or two females will they still be ok if i acclimate them together and stuff?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
steve-s

Same thing that would happen if you ordered two of the same kind. In this particular case, the difference in color or species from percula or ocellaris will not alter the outcome. When pairing two of these fish, the absolute best means to accompish that is getting sexually immature fish. When ordering from your online source, specify that the fish must be no larger than 1" or less if possible. Your chances of getting nueter fish are pretty good but at the worst males. It's only when both are female that your completely hooped.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com