clownfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unfamous

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey on live aquaria it said if u acclimate different species of tank bred clownfish at the same time they will be fine with each other..is this true because i wanted to put a tank bred ocellerous clown with a black perculia clown in a nano cube..would this be ok?

2 Occ. clowns would be alright, that way they can decide whichever one of them will mature into what sex. By adding the 3rd, it will start to cause fighting for the dominant possition.

the black clownfish at alive aquaria are amphiprion ocellaris var....i'm no expert, but doesn't that mean that it is actually an ocellaris and not a percula?

dreams said:
the black clownfish at alive aquaria are amphiprion ocellaris var....i'm no expert, but doesn't that mean that it is actually an ocellaris and not a percula?
Black clowns are indeed an ocellaris.

There is no reason why you can't put an ocellaris with a percula or a regular ocellaris with a black ocellaris. They will pair just fine no different than two of the exact smae species as long as you observe the normal conditions for pairing clowns. The only exception being they might not produce offspring.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
dreams said:
Black clowns are indeed an ocellaris.

There is no reason why you can't put an ocellaris with a percula or a regular ocellaris with a black ocellaris. They will pair just fine no different than two of the exact smae species as long as you observe the normal conditions for pairing clowns. The only exception being they might not produce offspring.

Cheers
Steve

but what happens if i order a black ocellaris and a regular ocelleris and i end up with two males or two females will they still be ok if i acclimate them together and stuff?

Same thing that would happen if you ordered two of the same kind. In this particular case, the difference in color or species from percula or ocellaris will not alter the outcome. When pairing two of these fish, the absolute best means to accompish that is getting sexually immature fish. When ordering from your online source, specify that the fish must be no larger than 1" or less if possible. Your chances of getting nueter fish are pretty good but at the worst males. It's only when both are female that your completely hooped.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom