Clownfish and Condylactis sp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have purchased 4 clown fish today, I'm sure it's the false percula, and my lfs suggested these anemone, Said "they bond with them", after doing some research according to live aquaria.com it says "it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them". Now has the lfs struck again or should I just leave them alone and see what happens? This is my first sw tank so "I know nothing" (that probally tells my age, but also tells the age of anyone who catches on to it). I know I have 1 clown that seems to be "porotecting" one of the anemones already. Or am I seeing things? He "seemed" to chase a blue damsel away 4 or 5 times right in a row.

Now has the lfs struck again

Sorta...Condys are not natural clownfish host, they have a very potent sting and can kill and eat a clown. That said, I have seen tomato clowns, as well as maroon clowns adopt them as hosts with no ill effect to the clown...but can be to the detriment of the anemone.

reefrunner69 said:
Now has the lfs struck again

I have seen tomato clowns, as well as maroon clowns adopt them as hosts with no ill effect to the clown...but can be to the detriment of the anemone.

Why detrimental to the anemone? Not getting fed or another problem?

For what its worth, I've also been told that Clowns generally dont accept Condy's...but who knows, the world is full of exceptions and misinformation. I've seen them accept long-tentacled anemones quite quickly though. HTH

Why detrimental to the anemone? Not getting fed or another problem?

Because typically the condy does not get big enough to host a clown. Since they are not natural hosts for the clown, it is also stressful on the anemone for the clown to be in the anemone.

I have seen condys that size of most long tentecles. So I don't think size is the issure. I do agree on the fact that they might get cuttle to death since most clowns love to nestle in the loving arms of anemones.

Back
Top Bottom