Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Clownfish eggs found!

I've just found Clownfish (Percula) eggs in my 60 G tank. They were layed on top of one of my water pumps. One Clown is guarding the eggs (I assume is the male) while the female is never too far. I'm relatively new to this situation. I've had my tank running for about 5 yrs now and I believe this is the first time this has happened. I also have a Hippo Tang, Coral Beauty Angel, 2 convict Blennys and a whole lot of Blue Leg Crabs.

My question is should I just leave everything as is or should I take some precautions for those fry when they hatch. I know that if I leave everything as is, most of those little guys will perish but isn't that the way of the jungle ... or ocean... you all know what I mean.

What do you guys with experience think.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome!!! I cant help you but thats great, GL.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rearing the fry is possible, but it's pretty involving. You would need to remove the eggs from the main and setup a separate tank specifically for the purpose of raising the fry. Care has to be taken when choosing equipment, pumps can easily kill them. And AFAIK you would also need to cultivate your own rotifers for food, unless you could buy them. There is not enough, if any, plankton in an aquarium for them to survive to adulthood. There is info available online if your still interested. Most people just leave them in the tank to become food for other fish and/or coral.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
My clowns have been laying eggs regularly for about a year now, I just let them go. Like Mike said, you can raise them, but its a lot of work and time consuming, and they need lots and lots of food that you usually have to grow yourself.

Congrats anyways! The clowns will likely lay again in about 2-3 weeks, so if you decide to try and rear them you should have plenty more opportunities.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you for your advice. I think I will just leave them be and let nature run it's course. Besides if I attempt to raise them, I'll probably have negative results.

Thanks for all those who visited this post.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I personally let mine go as well. However, thats not to say I would LOVE to raise a few of my true percula fry to selling size and get them into the hands of some reefers in my area. I guess it would make me feel like I'm doing my part in a way. Good luck!
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Congratulations and good luck if you do try to rear some in the future.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to boges_au2006
my male clown is maxing some funny moves near the female like a shaking move. bit funny looking. what could this mean? its also hanging around one peice of rock a lot too. picking at it?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by boges_au2006
my male clown is maxing some funny moves near the female like a shaking move. bit funny looking. what could this mean? its also hanging around one peice of rock a lot too. picking at it?
Put on the Barry White album & cut the lights on your way out.
squawkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would something like this work for the feeding? Or do you actually NEED to grow rotifers. And would you target feed them or just dose the tank?

Tags
clown, clownfish, egg, eggs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com