Clownfish feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a mated pair of ocellaris clownfish (sorry if I spelled that wrong) And I have been feeding formula one flake food twice a day they munch it down pretty good and get excited every time they see me like they are begging for food. I am not too knowledable about clownfish really what are my feeding option for these squirmy little guys.
P.S. they wiggle like they are dancing at a night club when the lunar lights come on especially. (LOL)

My clownfish love frozen food (squid, brine shimp, mysis, etc) and it's always good to mix up frozen and flake.

Just as a thought, once a day or once every two days is all the fish really need to be fed. Of course, there are no problems with feeding twice a day unless you perhaps start to see water quality decline or algae appear. :)

HTH

I was going to say that you`ll start to see water quality issues if you continue to feed twice a day. I feed mine every other day but if I were you I would at least slow down to feed once a day.

Makes sense will do. I was just told the lady that breeds them that the LFS got them from was feeding 3 times a day. They are still baby's like 2 months at the most. I will cut back to once a day. Thanks

I agree with the feeding. Also as DT said it is always good to offer different foods. I feed pellet, flake, fozen and home made mush.

I like to mix DT's oyster eggs, mysis, and cyclopeeze and feed everything in my tank. I think my clowns are addicted to it because they go crazy everytime I put it in. I only feed every few days though... HTH

beachbumin said:
I like to mix DT's oyster eggs, mysis, and cyclopeeze and feed everything in my tank. I think my clowns are addicted to it because they go crazy everytime I put it in. I only feed every few days though... HTH
Where do you purchase these items at and do you pre mix and then freeze. I read somewhere someone bought local seafood and ground it up in a blender and then froze it into a block and broke off a chunk at feeding time then thawed it in a cup of tank water. Any thoughts???

bought local seafood and ground it up in a blender and then froze it into a block
That's blender mush! Do a search for it and you'll find several different recipes. Here's one:
take a little frozen shrimp, mussels, clams, nori, those golden pearls, etc and dump them into the blender, and chop'em into fish-bite size pieces. Then, take a section (say 8" x 8") of that ever useful eggcrate and smear the mixture down into the little squares. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in freezer. Then use one of those chopsticks to push the little frozen squares into a bag, dust with a little bit of that baking soda to keep from sticking, and you have home-made fish food!

Back
Top Bottom