Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Clownfish Fighting

My Clownfish started fighting more and more violenty recently..
at first they didn't fight at all...

then the 1st one in the tank started attacking the 2nd one when they saw me come by.. looks like it's attacking it so it won't get to the top where the food comes...

Then this started happening more and more, and eventually the 2nd clown started fighting back, as he is bigger... I bought his bigger thinking the 1st one wouldn't attack it... but he still does.

His tail is starting to rip now because the 2nd one grabs him by the tail with his mouth and doesn't let go.

At night they sleep right next to each other.. and other times they hang around each other almost always...

They're alone in a 30 gallon tank.. I would think that's enough for them? And they're not even big.. I think they're about 1-2 years old. I've had them for about 6 months..

Any suggestions? I could try to get them each an anemone but then I'd need a new light which is expensive.. and I don't even know if that would help.. I heard they can host even in mushrooms and so forth... any ideas on whether trying this might work, and what I can try that is not too expensive.

The guy at the LFS had some green Anemones and said they don't require much light but I think he's wrong.. Does there exist any kind of anemone that doesn't require more than a Aqualight T5?

Thanks for any help in advance!

euro_Boy_To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
First off suggest you update the "my info" section of your profile with details of you setup and inhabitants so we can better help you.

What type of clowns? Clowns can be very territorial especially if you added one a while after already have one. They are usually best introduced as a pair or group. Now if they are the same species it is very possible thay are forming a mating pair. My Maroon clowns did the same thing for the first few weeks and are now the best of buds defending their territory as a team. BTW, assuming they are the same species the larger one is probably not a "he", but the female of the pair.

If the behavior continues more than a couple of weeks or turn very violent with one always cowering and being beat up I would seperate.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

it's a 30 gallon tank with just two clownfish and some live rock.

They're both false percula clownfish.. and they're good while I'm not next to the tank. they only fight when when i come close to the tank and they think I'll get food...

They both try to go to the top and beg for food, but one doesn't let the other do it.. and none of them seem to cower away, they stare each other down, and charge toward each other..

I don't know what to do really.. that one has always been begging for food no matter how much or little I give him.. maybe I need a automatic feeder so he doesn't associate me with food?
euro_Boy_To is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, clownfish, fight, fighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com