clownfish sleeping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I just got my first two fish for my saltwater tank got 2 fancy occ clownfish.

ForumRunner_20130129_231654.jpg

They were very happy today when I put them in. shut lights out. Walked by and didn't see the clownfish anymore
They are on the surface in the corner on their sides

ForumRunner_20130129_231847.jpg

ForumRunner_20130129_231852.jpg

Ok that is how they are sleeping. As soon as I turn the bedroom light on. I don't even have to turn tank light on. As soon as there is any light they act like normal

mine sleeps at the top as well. sometimes up above the heater. other times he goes under the output of my HOB filter. like in behind it where there is no flow. he has done this for like 4 years. i dont understand how they can sleep. having to swim all night.

I added another 500gph pump and a 225gph power filter so the water isn't as calm as it was last night I'm curious to see how they sleep tonight

A 550gph, 500gph and a 225gph
In a,36 gallon bow front

I added another 500gph pump and a 225gph power filter so the water isn't as calm as it was last night I'm curious to see how they sleep tonight

A 550gph, 500gph and a 225gph
In a,36 gallon bow front

if you place them right your flow will be perfect

I run two 500's and a 250 in my 37 g bow front
this is how mine are placed
if your looking at the tank I have them like this

one 500 on the left side front about 6 inch from top pointed slightly down

one 500 on right side about 6 inch from top in rear pointed forwards in a slight downward position

one 250 center rear about 6 inch down pointed forward in a upwards position towards the surface it helps with gas exchange

here's a pict might help

img_2315178_0_3718a25ff995d4eece755751d2460fff.jpg

I also built a top from plastic egg crate they use with florescent lighting for under $20.
hope it helps (y)

Attachments

• light 001.jpg
    light 001.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 128
Not trying to hijack but 54 could you post a pic of your DIY lid from the top? I have a bowfront also and am looking to replace the hood so I can run some good lighting.

How did you do the bow part? It looks like you have,a flap of some sort. I have nothing so I would have to cut the egg crate for that as well but I want to be able to feed and what not without removing the whole piece

I had a piece of glass cut and bought a plastic hing that I glued to egg crate so I had a opening lid

here's another I did using only egg crate

img_2315475_1_4662c95543d5709c64043ee8225c1fb9.jpg

you can do the same thing with a bow front

put the egg crate over the whole top
than cut out a hatch 2 squares from the lip
see illistration:

img_2315475_2_42ee9103493569afe25b9027c06cce34.jpg

you will have a rough edge so
to finish the curved front cut a long length
from the lip of left over egg-crate and crazy glue it to the unfinished edge to make it look finished
the second length on the lid is to keep it from falling in opening you just glue the two together

it takes about 20 min to build
and it has a nice clean look(y)

Now does that lower the amount of light? I'm wanting to keep corals eventually and I need all the light I have I'm using a 130watt dual compact fluorescent light which I was told is the same as 4 t5hos

And also what did you use for the cutout to keep it from falling off. I'm tempted to make it rectangular with a flat edge to front then make the curve piece so I can just lift it up off of it

And also do you have any problems with salt buildup on them?

it actually improves your lighting making it more even through out the tank
almost like having no top at all

after you make your cut out for lid
just cut another piece about a inch larger glue the two together and it will keep your lid from falling in see illustration above

Ok I got ya here is what I'm thinking cut the rectangle part with a flat edge to front. Then cut curved part with flat edge to rear so they both butt up. Then glue a flat piece to the curve. Then I can just remove the whole curve part when I need to

almost the same as I said but worded different
but yes that should work too

yes you used glass for the curved I'm just gonna use egg crate and no hinge how hard is it to glue flat edge? Just put a dab of super glue gel on each piece and stick the flat edge to then?

Now I know the metal type had sharp edges. Does the plastic have sharp edges that could harm the fish? And can they get through it?

Back
Top Bottom