clowns and condy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have heard that it is rear for clowns to host a condy. Is this true? Also is there a way to get the clowns to host?

joshpwolf said:
i have heard that it is rear for clowns to host a condy. Is this true? Also is there a way to get the clowns to host?

Yes its rare, condies are not a natural hist for clowns in the wild. Both species exist in entirely different ecosystems.

Also no sure fire way to get a clown to host, especially if tank raised clowns. You will have way more luck with a BTA.

I've had 2 different pairs of clarkii clown fish host my condy anemone. Both with in a few hours of adding them to my tank. My current set of clarckii's will go sit in my rose btas from time to time, but their home is the condy.

Wild clowns were known to use Atlantic Haitian Pink Tip anemones (Condylactus Giagantus) as hosts presumably because they were similar to pacific Bubble anemones and Ritteri anems. With tank raised clowns, it is possible that their parents bred while using a HPT so they are more comfortable in a reg. Condy (Condylactus passiflora.)
So the answer to your question "is it rare" is both yes and no, especially when dealing with tank raised fish.

Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom