Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

clowns aneome

I have two tank raised percula clowns. I have added a bubble anenome.
Now that the aneome is in the clowns are acting different. One is swimming around the anenome looking at it getting close and seems drawn to it. I have heard that tank raised may not host the anenome.
What do you think the odds are ??

Old 03-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could very well happen. You never know. If they are showing interest already, then that is a great sign!!

Old 03-18-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

All of my tank raised clowns have taken to anemones. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's awsome that your clown is showing interest in your anemone already. My captive bred ocellaris acted like yours did and a few days later it was playing in the anemone.

It's a myth that captive bred clowns will NOT take an anemones as a host. Out of the 4 captive bred clowns i've had all of them have taken to my BTA. I'm not saying that all clowns take up a host, it's up to the individual clown. They might even ignore your anemone and choose a power head as a host. Even sometimes wild caught will not take a host, to each their own.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You said it perfect Klam. There are no certainties in this hobby.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have one tank bred ocellaris clown that remained a complete stranger to my BTA for several months, then one day just jumped right in. The anemone was in the tank first, maybe thats what took so long. I would think that if your fish show any interest, it will happen eventually.
Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01349_198.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1599  
Old 04-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I bought a pair of very small ocilleris clowns at the same time as I know you must buy in pairs. Well, one died after one week but the other is healthy and strong. He's been doing great for the past two months. Can I add another one at this point or will they kill each other. Also, on the topic of anemone for them. What is the best/hardiest kind?
Old 04-03-2005, 12:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bluejam- Get a captive bred juvenile clownfish, that way you will be sure 99% that it's still young and hasn't gottent the chance to change into a female. If your clown has reached sexual maturity it's most likely has already changed into a female.

It's not a "must" to buy them in pairs. There are techiques to be used to get clowns to become bonded pairs when added seperate.

Bubble tip anemone is considered one of the easier anemone to care for.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
how about a LTA or a sebea? my lfs dont have bulb tips and i also got a baby pair of O. clowns that are going through the whole sex change thing and are doing great together.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I am going friday to pick up another tank raised O. clown to add to my tank. I am hoping I can find a very small one. Mine is small...so I may have to do some searching for a tiny one.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com