clowns aneome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two tank raised percula clowns. I have added a bubble anenome.
Now that the aneome is in the clowns are acting different. One is swimming around the anenome looking at it getting close and seems drawn to it. I have heard that tank raised may not host the anenome.
What do you think the odds are ??

It could very well happen. You never know. If they are showing interest already, then that is a great sign!! :wink:

It's awsome that your clown is showing interest in your anemone already. My captive bred ocellaris acted like yours did and a few days later it was playing in the anemone.

It's a myth that captive bred clowns will NOT take an anemones as a host. Out of the 4 captive bred clowns i've had all of them have taken to my BTA. I'm not saying that all clowns take up a host, it's up to the individual clown. They might even ignore your anemone and choose a power head as a host. Even sometimes wild caught will not take a host, to each their own.

I have one tank bred ocellaris clown that remained a complete stranger to my BTA for several months, then one day just jumped right in. The anemone was in the tank first, maybe thats what took so long. I would think that if your fish show any interest, it will happen eventually.
Here is a picture.

Attachments

• dsc01349_198.jpg
    dsc01349_198.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 139
I bought a pair of very small ocilleris clowns at the same time as I know you must buy in pairs. Well, one died after one week but the other is healthy and strong. He's been doing great for the past two months. Can I add another one at this point or will they kill each other. Also, on the topic of anemone for them. What is the best/hardiest kind?

Bluejam- Get a captive bred juvenile clownfish, that way you will be sure 99% that it's still young and hasn't gottent the chance to change into a female. If your clown has reached sexual maturity it's most likely has already changed into a female.

It's not a "must" to buy them in pairs. There are techiques to be used to get clowns to become bonded pairs when added seperate.

Bubble tip anemone is considered one of the easier anemone to care for.

how about a LTA or a sebea? my lfs dont have bulb tips and i also got a baby pair of O. clowns that are going through the whole sex change thing and are doing great together.

I am going friday to pick up another tank raised O. clown to add to my tank. I am hoping I can find a very small one. Mine is small...so I may have to do some searching for a tiny one.

AR15- As long as your current clown is still an adolescent which hasn't reached sexual maturity means that it probably hasn't changed into a female yet. As long as you get a juvenile clown( even if it's slightly larger) it should be ok to try to pair them up.

Percs reach sexual maturity(adult hood) around 12-13 months of age. Ocellaris develope faster than percs but I'm not sure at what age they will become adults.

If your captive bred ocellaris is still under a 1" one can assume it is still an adolescent.

Mine is about 1.5''. So he may have matured. He is pretty small thought. I may go try to find one that is 1'' or under. I have no idea how old he is. I will ask them next time I go to the LFS. I am not sure if they will know or not.

LFS told me I could exchange them until I find a pair that will work. I'd ask them if I could bring mine in but hes to cool to get rid of. He is by far the least skidish fish I have ever had. Only bad thing is one of his bottom fins is missing. But that may grow back.

I just purchased another clown. It is very small. About half the size of my current one. So I think it may work out. The big one has already taken interest. Hopefully in a good way.

Well I added the new clown. They are doing great together. Neither showed any aggression at all. Big one actually seems very happy. Smaller one has been alone awhile also. Both seem to enjoy each others company.

Hopefully someday they will mate. I would love to raise some clowns. From what I have heard it isn't terribly hard either.

Back
Top Bottom