Clued in or Clueless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

signals

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had freshwater tanks for years and am attempting to switch to saltwater. After reading everything I can, I think I am on the right track but have a few questions and want to confirm what I am about to do.

I have a 75g tank with underground filter, biowheel filter and two powerheads. I want a FOWLR tank. I think I need to ditch everything but the heater, tank and stand. Since my tank isn't drilled, I am thinking of using a Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB protein skimmer. I will add a 50/50 mix of live sand and play sand. Adding 50 lbs of bulk Fiji Dry live rock and adding 25 lbs live rock from my lfs. Also will add two Koralia Evolution 750 gph pumps.

I will be using my old light (a 4 ft flourescent) but will probably upgrade to a cheaper LED since I wont have a reef. I think I need to take my glass covers off for air circulation and off gassing? I will need to buy a saltwater test kit, a refractometer and salt (Instant Ocean ok for FOWLR)?

Will buy a RO/DI later, probably a 4 stage? Will wait 3-6 weeks to determine what fish to add but understand that it is a slow process.

Does this look like I covered everything? Should anything be changed? Was thinking of using a sump or refugium but since it's FOWLR do I really need it or is the PS enough?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you have!

That sounds okay to me. For sure you want a saltwater test kit and ideally a refractometer (hydrometers are apparently not as accurate).

Lighting will not matter for FOWLR. I have a two bulb T5 for my 75g FOWLR. LEDS are nice, just not necessary.

The two pumps should be okay...a lot depends on how you set up your rock, but you don't want dead spots.

To dont need to take you glass covers off. That will cause more humidity in you room/house. Just make sure you don't fill the tank right up to the covers to allow oxygen. Other than that your on the right track!

Back
Top Bottom