Clycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tank shoul be ready in two more weeks my nitrites are high they will go down soon an my nitrates are climing as well after nitrates go all the way down il do a huge water change an wait 24 hours then I'm ready to add my fish can't wait

After 4 days you should see ammonia on your test kit. If not, you can go to the supermarket and buy a raw cocktail shrimp to toss in.

Even if the ammonia is disappearing add more till it goes to zero in like 6 to 12 hours. Mine could digest 1 cup ammonia in 10 hours. That's a lot for a 55g tank. If I did it again I probably won't add so much next time k definitky over did it

After the ammonia is zero would it be ok to wait a week then start to add fish and/or coral?

No the ammonia turns to nitrite so u have to wait till then. If u have nitrite then wait till its at zero and u have nitrates. In the beginning the nitrite takes longer to disaapear than ammonia. When u have fish and whatever in there the ammonia is added slower than u are adding it so the nitrite bacteria keep up. U should never have any readable levels except for nitrate

I would give ur tank atleast a month total while u regularly dose amminia. If ammonia and nitrite go to zero by the end of the day then u should do a large water change to remove nitrates from the tank and u should be good. Remember if the bacteria on the rock doesn't have ammonia as food than it will go away so don't let it sit forever after u have cycledbto add livestock.

Does the shrimp dissolve in the water? Or should there be a time when I take it out

I think a lot take it out and they had originally put it in a mesh bag. I don't know cuz I didn't do it. I'm believe in disingenuous ammonia

My 75 gallon finished its clycle yesterday it took only 3 weeks with pure ammonia wow that was fast now to do a huge water change an wait 24 hours an bigging adding my fish

Back
Top Bottom