coffeetwitch's 40g breeder fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did. But the angel is the most active fish in there. It would be nice to see a bit more moving than him. Most cardinals I've seen(granted I haven't seen many of them) just hang out and hover.

Kio707 said:
Stop light cardinal? Maybe a wrasse, doesn't have to be reef safe.

I'll have to look up a stop light cardinal. And your right it doesn't have to be reef safe. But most non reef safe wrasses that I looked at on liveaquaria get big. For this tank 6" is big.

We've got a flame hawk now. Maybe we could find some anthias for the 75? Idk. Hopefully the right thing will show up at the right time. Ora Mandarin?

coffeetwitch said:
We've got a flame hawk now. Maybe we could find some anthias for the 75? Idk. Hopefully the right thing will show up at the right time. Ora Mandarin?

Very pretty.... Maybe...

Thing is it seems like I've got alot of butt draggers in there now. Can I get away with another one?

Lawnmower
Flame hawk
Mandarin?

Voiltan lion fish all the way!!! What??? Can't ask for much cooler looking fish presentation-wise.... don't mind the 15" adult size...its a fluke;)
Sorry to hear about the cardinal:( as hard as it is to swallow, sometimes our fish just die ..with no outward signs of sickness

i know right? that lion fish would be great! but i think i will err on the side of caution and say maybe next time to the lion.

i dont know if i want to try to replace the cardinal with another. or try for more color. i hate that i lost him. i do. he was fun to watch. even rechecked my parameters and they were good. but i dont want to misuse this opportunity, sad as it may be. some of you know i have wanted a mandarin. i know my tank is very immature and i would have to buy pods to either supplement his diet or be his diet. ive been trying to research this nutromar ova product that was recommended by my lfs. if i have to buy these bottles of pods how many of them will he need to get fat and happy?

I've heard that mandarins can actually wipe out entire populations of pods in no time at all.. in terms of what fish to go with, I vote color, only because you seem to be very intrigued by fishy colors. I person ally prefer swimming styles and overall fishy experience to color...but its you're tank and your choices

I hate to be the buzz kill but I would stay away from a mandarin for awhile yet. You would be buying multiple bottles of pods a week, they do nothing but hunt for food. I mean nothing, mine is ALWAYS pecking at the rocks every few seconds. lol

I person ally prefer swimming styles and overall fishy experience to color

what do you mean by swimming styles?

Sorry to hear about your Banggai. Rest of the crowd doing good?
they rest of the tank is doing very well. no abnormal behavior

I hate to be the buzz kill but I would stay away from a mandarin for awhile yet.

your not being a buzz kill. this is why i asked. the bulk of the rock was from reefcleaners so ive got almost 0 chance that i have any pods to start with.

do i just buy how many bottles and then wait for how long?

oh and once i get a bottle or 10 of pods, any recomendations there, is there anything speacial i can do to facilitate pod growth and reproduction?

thank you all.

and my mind is made up, i will put a sump of some sort on this tank eventually.

coffeetwitch said:
oh and once i get a bottle or 10 of pods, any recomendations there, is there anything speacial i can do to facilitate pod growth and reproduction?

thank you all.

and my mind is made up, i will put a sump of some sort on this tank eventually.

I am in the same boat there, been following your thread religiously, the tank and inhabitants look great, but I also want to know about the pods as well!

With no fuge I;m not sure exactly how many bottles of pods it would take. I know they need lots of rock with nooks and crannies to live and reproduce in. BUT if you add a mandarin that eats only pods I don't see how a viable population can develop with him eating the pods. You could start now and introduce some and in a few months you might have enough. Or you can just feed pods from a bottle but I anticipate that will be quite expensive.

ive got 50 lbs of the reefcleaner rock. and one nice piece of lr from another tank. is that enough? you know how the rock is from reefcleaners. do i need more rock in there?

i need to buy more rock for my fuge on the 75 so i can buy another 50lbs and spread load between the two if need be.

i would really like to get a tank raised one so that the pods are just a handy snack or even ignored as part of my cuc.

thanks carey for your help and input.

halfmoon: hahaha i sure hope its been a good read, i know i can get sidetracked and and all over the place so thanks for reading and i hope that you have found some good info.

coffeetwitch said:
: hahaha i sure hope its been a good read, i know i can get sidetracked and and all over the place so thanks for reading and i hope that you have found some good info.

that is has, I got the same type and amount of rock, love it. And I have learned quite a bit. I have my fish list already, just corals and neme, and logging now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom