coffeetwitch's 40g breeder fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey a mans gotta do whatever it takes for this hobby right?

Lol twitch just send her on a shopping spree with a deactivated card...you'll get some alone time with your fishies

The more I look and read other peoples threads the more I'm thinking about making this little tank a reef tank. I was up last night looking at some of the corals on liveaquaria and some of the $200 dollar ones look amazing. One of which being a metallic red looking brain coral.

After pricing some stuff it will probably take me a year just to have my equipment and supplies purchased. As of last night I was not planing on a calcium reactor, but it's not off my maybe list.

I was also revisiting the idea of a dsb in this tank. 5"

2 koralia 1050's or 750's
Glass holes 700gph kit
Danner mag drive 5 or 7 return pump
A 4 bulb t5ho light with moon lights
Making another 40b sump
Another one of those sc150 skimmers
Dsb in the sump too with macro and seeding like crazy for pods so I can get a mandarin. Red or blue idk yet. Depends on the corals I find.
Commit myself to those black ice clowns
Maybe an angel I know they don't get along with corals so we will see.

In the mean time I will continue to enjoy my current set up.

I don't know what I need to consider here or what I'm missing so input would be appreciated.

Have you thought about going 6 bulb on the hood? It would def give all the light necessary for pretty much anything

rdnelson99 said:
What did twitch lock you out so you couldn't see what he was spending money on???? :lol:

Ha no! Updated to ios5 and it crapped out on me. Finally got the update and now I can read subscribed threads again!

huma-huma said:
Have you thought about going 6 bulb on the hood? It would def give all the light necessary for pretty much anything

After the sand bed, it will be 11-12" of water depth. I really don't know how 2 extra bulbs on the back 3" of my tank will make a difference. I'm not saying it wont. Just I don't know.

If you sleep with fish I hope you have an otterbox on that iphone, may not function well underwater

i know a similar question is being asked on another 40 breeder thread. but will 4 t5 ho bulbs be able to grown anything that a person could want in this tank? keep in mind that after i put in a 5" dsb i will only have 11 inches of usable tank depth.

well thanks to carey ill plan on buying a 4x39w fixture. if any one has a nova extreme for sale let me know. if the price is right ill gladly buy it off you. it maybe a month down the road though.

i stopped off and bought my steel for my stand. im about half way done with building it. still have to weld the legs on, grind, and paint.

my plans are ever changing. here is the latest.

sweety pie wants some living space back. i am having to get rid of the 75.
im keeping this 40 and its going to be a reef with clowns. ill be using the sump from that build for this one. all the equipment i collected too.
ill be using the substrate from that tank too to help out on my dsb in this one.
she will probably be giving her rams up to make that 40b a fowlr so she can keep her favourites.

i think thats about it as far as being up to date.

Last edited:
that thought was entertained for about 15 seconds. i like my cichlids too much.

i would be ok loosing tanks if we could do a big salt like a 125 - 180 and keep our cichlids. well i still have plans for this tank.

i think i had a productive weekend. friday i picked up all my steel. today, its got a 40 gallon breeder sitting on top of it with the same sitting on the lower shelf waiting for the overflow i ordered of friday.

Oh and just throwing this out there. A maxi-jet 900 And a 20gallon brute trash can makes water changes soooo easy. No buckets Being lifted. The pump mixes and then easily pumps directly into the tank via a 1/2? i.d. clear vinyl tube I had laying around.

Only thing that would make it easier would be if I splurged on the wheeled cart for the trash can.

Oh and I still need to pick up a submersible heater for this new found wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom