Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #451
Aquarium Advice Addict

i know right? that lion fish would be great! but i think i will err on the side of caution and say maybe next time to the lion.

i dont know if i want to try to replace the cardinal with another. or try for more color. i hate that i lost him. i do. he was fun to watch. even rechecked my parameters and they were good. but i dont want to misuse this opportunity, sad as it may be. some of you know i have wanted a mandarin. i know my tank is very immature and i would have to buy pods to either supplement his diet or be his diet. ive been trying to research this nutromar ova product that was recommended by my lfs. if i have to buy these bottles of pods how many of them will he need to get fat and happy?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #452
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've heard that mandarins can actually wipe out entire populations of pods in no time at all.. in terms of what fish to go with, I vote color, only because you seem to be very intrigued by fishy colors. I person ally prefer swimming styles and overall fishy experience to color...but its you're tank and your choices

Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #453
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
Banggai died. I'm not happy about it. Sweety pie found him just now

Sorry to hear about your Banggai. Rest of the crowd doing good?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #454
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I hate to be the buzz kill but I would stay away from a mandarin for awhile yet. You would be buying multiple bottles of pods a week, they do nothing but hunt for food. I mean nothing, mine is ALWAYS pecking at the rocks every few seconds. lol
Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #455
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
I person ally prefer swimming styles and overall fishy experience to color
what do you mean by swimming styles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Sorry to hear about your Banggai. Rest of the crowd doing good?
they rest of the tank is doing very well. no abnormal behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I hate to be the buzz kill but I would stay away from a mandarin for awhile yet.
your not being a buzz kill. this is why i asked. the bulk of the rock was from reefcleaners so ive got almost 0 chance that i have any pods to start with.

do i just buy how many bottles and then wait for how long?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #456
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh and once i get a bottle or 10 of pods, any recomendations there, is there anything speacial i can do to facilitate pod growth and reproduction?

thank you all.

and my mind is made up, i will put a sump of some sort on this tank eventually.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #457
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
oh and once i get a bottle or 10 of pods, any recomendations there, is there anything speacial i can do to facilitate pod growth and reproduction?

thank you all.

and my mind is made up, i will put a sump of some sort on this tank eventually.
I am in the same boat there, been following your thread religiously, the tank and inhabitants look great, but I also want to know about the pods as well!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #458
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With no fuge I;m not sure exactly how many bottles of pods it would take. I know they need lots of rock with nooks and crannies to live and reproduce in. BUT if you add a mandarin that eats only pods I don't see how a viable population can develop with him eating the pods. You could start now and introduce some and in a few months you might have enough. Or you can just feed pods from a bottle but I anticipate that will be quite expensive.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #459
Aquarium Advice Addict

ive got 50 lbs of the reefcleaner rock. and one nice piece of lr from another tank. is that enough? you know how the rock is from reefcleaners. do i need more rock in there?

i need to buy more rock for my fuge on the 75 so i can buy another 50lbs and spread load between the two if need be.

i would really like to get a tank raised one so that the pods are just a handy snack or even ignored as part of my cuc.

thanks carey for your help and input.

halfmoon: hahaha i sure hope its been a good read, i know i can get sidetracked and and all over the place so thanks for reading and i hope that you have found some good info.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #460
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
: hahaha i sure hope its been a good read, i know i can get sidetracked and and all over the place so thanks for reading and i hope that you have found some good info.
that is has, I got the same type and amount of rock, love it. And I have learned quite a bit. I have my fish list already, just corals and neme, and logging now!

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com