coffeetwitch's 40g breeder fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SwimsWithFish said:
NOOOO!!!!! Think about the sps... And the Lps waving in the current... And the tangs speeding thru the rock work....

It would be fowlr. Can't afford the lights for corals on a 6' long tank

carey said:
Mine aren't really aggressive either, a little high strung sometimes but overall very sociable. I have some that chase each other but again like you said, they usually only do it for a short time and then go back to the normal behavior.

How long have you had the cichlids? Are you guys not really attached to them? Are you going to just bring them to the lfs for credit or actually rehome them ?

We have some 4.5 inchers that where 2" when we got them.

Attached? Kinda, that's why it's been a back and forth for me at least.

May try to get a store credit Carey. Believe it or not I don't have many friends otherwise I would give the cichlids to them.

coffeetwitch said:
Brent, do you feed him daily? Every other? What do you feed your tusk? And how often? If/when we do the 125 idea for sure the tusk.

No triggers are on the list. Oddly only 1 tang if that

Jodi

I'm sure this is down the line if at all so maybe by then you will have your purple tang If u don't mind keeping us updated on how he acts with your tank

Oh and the two bags of pods+ from reefcleaners has done a wonderful job of seeding the tank. I can see some on the glass. Some days more than others. I also now have a hermit in a snail shell. He spent the better part of a week eating the snail.

Not a problem. I will have multiple tangs though. If you are only doing one tang you have nothing to worry about. The purple is only supposed to be aggressive towards other tangs with the same body shape such as the sail-fin, yellow and the desjardini. But of course, if they are added at the same time you should be fine. I had a small issue when i added the yellow and the sail-fin at the time- but now they school together. It all depends on the temperament. Also- you said it was a fish only or fowlr? Because tangs need caves to hide in.

I have to agree about the cichlids. I love them in my 125. I'm actually considering setting up my 54 gallon for some yellow labs, ace I and red zebras. We will see though. I still need to get my other 125 in from the garage and get it cycling. Anyone wanna help lol

I have a purple tang, and she gets along with everyone. The only other tang I have in there is a naso tang and they get along great, as a matter of fact they swim all around together and seem like friends.

Jsmith79 said:
I have a purple tang, and she gets along with everyone. The only other tang I have in there is a naso tang and they get along great, as a matter of fact they swim all around together and seem like friends.

Different body shapes and colors. Get along most of the time

Brent, do you feed him daily? Every other? What do you feed your tusk? And how often? If/when we do the 125 idea for sure the tusk.

No triggers are on the list. Oddly only 1 tang if that

Jodi

I'm sure this is down the line if at all so maybe by then you will have your purple tang If u don't mind keeping us updated on how he acts with your tank

Oh and the two bags of pods+ from reefcleaners has done a wonderful job of seeding the tank. I can see some on the glass. Some days more than others. I also now have a hermit in a snail shell. He spent the better part of a week eating the snail.

sorry so late of a response, water main busted overnight in our basement :( but in reference to the lionfish, hes fed on a need to basis, since they are "gulpers" their bellies tend to swell up after eating, so i simply feed, then wait for his belly to deflate...usually translates to roughly 2 feedings a week, maybe 3 if hes especially hungry. the tusk is fed the same garlic pellets as the others, although it took a few days and mysis shrimp to convince him to eat after purchase. i feed him 5-6 pellets a day. yes probably a bit much for a 2 inch juvenile but he eats every one and im trying to fattened him up for growth:) i know youre attached to your cichlids but once you switch your 125 over to salt you wont regret it. just the sheer choice of fish that you have with a 125 will be exciting... let alone the sight of a coralline filled tank:) ok off to build a turf-scrubber now:)

Jsmith79 said:

So long as they don't look like eachother and diff colors?

A powder blue tang was a maybe too

Imagine a porous sheet hanging vertically with water running down it rapidly and modest lighting on it...it grows a short, tough " turf-like" algae that not only eats up excess nutrients like crazy but also eats trates. Im excited because its only gonna cost about 10 bucks to build and within a month or so should completely replace my skimmer:)

coffeetwitch said:
So long as they don't look like eachother and diff colors?

A powder blue tang was a maybe too

Yeah. General rule (and it's not even 100%) is different colors and body shapes. Of course there is always an exception to the rule on both sides. But if they are introduced at the same time it will lessen the chance of aggression towards each other. There will still be a few days that they might bicker as they try to claim dominance to the tank though

I'm looking forward to getting home and posting my list of maybes to see what experienced keeper have to say.

What would be over stocked be for my 40 breeders and what would over stock be for this maybe 125?

ok off work and both hands work. this is the maybe list to pick and choose from for the maybe 125 cichlid to sw change.
-2 anglers, one wart skin and one red orange angler
-cubicus box fish (i read that they are potentially deadly to tank mates so that one may be off the list)
-red diana hogfish
-voltron lion or
-radiata lion
-bluehead wrasse
-vrolik's wrasse
-marine batta
-lyretail hogfish
-harlaquin tusk aussy type. this is a must for me
-purple tang
-powder blue tang
-papuan tedy puffer
-bellus angel fish
-lamarck's angel
-little spinefoot
-two-line monocle bream
-scott's fairy wrasse
-midnight arothron puffer

this is a list to pick and choose from. not all of them. im sure a lot will be removed once sweety pie sees the price of them. but this is all just hypothetical. sorry i couldnt find any whales i liked.

I like the hump backs. They make a nice addition to a reef tank. Lol, I like it! And box fish give off a poison when they die... So you have to make sure they don't die.

yeah, the cuicus box fish looks cool but that whole toxic poison thing.... calls for expert only, and i am far from that.

Imagine a porous sheet hanging vertically with water running down it rapidly and modest lighting on it...it grows a short, tough " turf-like" algae that not only eats up excess nutrients like crazy but also eats trates. Im excited because its only gonna cost about 10 bucks to build and within a month or so should completely replace my skimmer:)

they work that well? how do you incorporate it into your system? is there any maintenance to it?

If it fits in a lions mouth, it will eat it. Might wanna base ur list off that. Beta is a no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom