Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #471
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like some cool critters. I have seen Chaeto in pet store's Mandarin tanks before. I have never seen a Red Mandarin, I think I will go check it out now!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #472
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh my gosh! I just saw the Mandarin, I have never seen anything like that before! Are they rare? The colors are beautiful!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #473
Aquarium Advice Addict

i know nothing about them... other than they are pod eating dragonets. and i want one. so im trying to get a pod population up first... how long do you guys think i need to wait before i have a big enough population from the bottle?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #474
Aquarium Advice Addict

kk back to the store for a bottle of pods.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #475
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I saw that same red mandarin and was tempted to get him for my 125g lol. But I think one mandarin is good for me.

It literally could take months for a bottle or two to establish a solid colony that might support a mandarin. They literally eat hundreds a day all day. I should take a video one day of mine, all she does is hunt for food all day long.

If you go ahead and get one just make sure you have some extra pods on hand. here's a great deal on pods btw

Reefs2go.com Live Saltwater Amphipods & Copepods-1000 - Buy 1 Get 1 FREE
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #476
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, good luck! I will follow along to see how long it takes for a pod population to build up. I want a Mandarin also someday!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #477
Aquarium Advice Addict

Twitch I hope you don't take offense to this. I am really trying to be helpful in what I say. But.... Reading your post, it sounds to me like you are trying to talk yourself into it. For instance, putting cheato behind a rock in hopes that your pod can sustain themselves in it. I know almost nothing about manderins but the one thing I have learned is that even experienced fish keepers with established tanks have had them starve. From everything I have seen you post, I know you don't want that. Be patient give it plenty of time.

Hope you don't hate me. I have really come to enjoy your company on this site and that is the only reason I feel the need to say what I am thinking. When it all comes down to it, do what you think is best and I promise I will be cool with it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #478
Aquarium Advice Addict

hahaha man im just talking about getting a pod population. all but one piece of my rock came dry. so i think my chances of any pods being in the tank are slim.. one of the great things about dry rock. no unwanted tagalongs. bad thing about it, anything you do want you have to put in.

i was running back to the store to get a bottle of pods not a fish.

i was also just trying to seek advice and second options on how to get the population up... i know it will be a while. dude i have to talk myself out of buying one every time i see them in the store.

but i do appreciate your concern about it...

let me take a step back. pods are good not only for food but as a micro cuc. when i do get my mandarin i do hope it feeds on frozen food. but i want a healthy fish so i want to make sure i have what it takes. in this case a bottle of tigger pods now.

did that address your concerns? or do you know something i dont?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #479
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
hahaha man im just talking about getting a pod population. all but one piece of my rock came dry. so i think my chances of any pods being in the tank are slim.. one of the great things about dry rock. no unwanted tagalongs. bad thing about it, anything you do want you have to put in.

i was running back to the store to get a bottle of pods not a fish.

i was also just trying to seek advice and second options on how to get the population up... i know it will be a while. dude i have to talk myself out of buying one every time i see them in the store.

but i do appreciate your concern about it...

let me take a step back. pods are good not only for food but as a micro cuc. when i do get my mandarin i do hope it feeds on frozen food. but i want a healthy fish so i want to make sure i have what it takes. in this case a bottle of tigger pods now.

did that address your concerns? or do you know something i dont?
Guess thats what I get for not reading EVERY post. LOL I was sure you were about to go buy one. LOL But, you did answer a question I have been meaning to ask. I was wondering if I should introduce some even though I have no plans on getting a manderin in this tank. Makes sense to add them to the CUC.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #480
Aquarium Advice Addict

the tiger pods are in.

i may get some pods+ from reefcleaners when i get more rock. i keep reading i need rock.

thank you for the link carey. have you purchased from them before? have you seen the pods?

hopefully my canister filter leaves some of them in the tank. sheash.

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com