Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #631
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info Jessie and for the sentiments. Well, if you paid $107 I feel a lot better about my home made. LOL I got about $50 in it but half of that was the Weld-On 16. I have most of that left over so can use it when I build my sump. Just found an add on CL for someone selling sheets of Acrylic that are 31" x 31" x 1/2" for $10 bucks. That is out of this world. A 36 x 48 x 1/4 at HD is 84. Think I just found the material for my sump. My buy extra and try to build a tank. I am thinking a 31" x 31" x 31" cube for the master bedroom would be nice. LOL

Old 10-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #632
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
and the tube of weld on will last through both of those!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #633
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
and the tube of weld on will last through both of those!
Yup, it is a big tube and it only takes a small bead. It isn't like silicone. In building the overflow, I found that the acrylic is very easy to work with. I personally wont use glass for anything I build after this experience. Even if I go with a cheap aquarium for my sump, I will do acrylic for the dividers. Table saw and router make great cuts, dremel tool works wonders for making small cut outs. I am sold.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #634
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. I would try it but all my tools are for metal. Maybe some day. I'm glad yours is working out for you. If you get that sheet off Craigslist and make a tank out of it make a thread so I can learn as you go.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #635
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
Sounds good. I would try it but all my tools are for metal. Maybe some day. I'm glad yours is working out for you. If you get that sheet off Craigslist and make a tank out of it make a thread so I can learn as you go.
If you work in metal I bet you have most of what you need for tools already. What I used was a table saw (but a skill saw would work), a router (but you could do the same with a dremel or roto-zip or a cutting wheel), dremel tool and a propane torch. If I was to do it again, I wouldn't heat and bend the acrylic but would just use all flat stock cut to size and weld it all.

Already working on the plans for a tank to see what I can make out of stock that size. Not sure it would work but.......
Old 10-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #636
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
Already working on the plans for a tank to see what I can make out of stock that size. Not sure it would work but.......
Ok, started a new thread in the DIY section called "DIY 160g +/- Tank" and uploaded the quick drawing I put together. Not sure how much I like it but it is better than my 45 right? LOL
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #637
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99

Ok, started a new thread in the DIY section called "DIY 160g +/- Tank" and uploaded the quick drawing I put together. Not sure how much I like it but it is better than my 45 right? LOL
K, I'll follow....
Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #638
Aquarium Advice Addict

kk, so i ran to the depot of home and exchanged the wrong parts for the right. all my joints are now cemented together. 24 hours for the cristy's red hot to cure and i can have flow through the sump.

im so close yet still so far away. i still need the macro and more rock.

its frustrating waiting for this sump. its the one i made for the 75g but never used. how long ago was it that i actually bought the tank for this purpose to now?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #639
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol my deep water electra haps where going at it again. the is their second mating. and the first batch of babies are almost .5" long now. thats how long ive been trying to get water into this sump!!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #640
Aquarium Advice Addict

my blenny is mia... last seen yesterday early evening. i put some seaweed in so we see if he eats any of it by the morning.

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com