coffeetwitch's 40g breeder fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
k so i mentioned it in my 75 mixed reef build. so here it is. it may be a slower build than i want and i have to sell some stuff to make it happen but im going to do it!

tomorrow im going to petco to take advantage of the $1/gallon sale to buy the tank.

ive got to come up with a stand for it. i may build an ugly one but at least i can make it as tall as i want.

hardware that im planning to get:
-hob skimmer
-fluval 305
-lr (probably dry from reefcleaners)
-36" 2 bulb t5 lo
-power head to help with flow koralia, fell in love with em on my 75 mixed reef
-sand

this is what im planing on stocking it with:
-our 8-10" snowflake eel from the 75 until we get a big tank for a predator build
-flame angel
-a hawk fish
-2 clowns
- i need help figuring out a cuc because of the eel
-a chocolate chip starfish. please advise me on this one.
-then ive been told im at my limit. please advise me on this one as well.

more to come and thank you for any input you guys have!!!

I;d say that tank will be quite stocked in my opinion. And that eel is an escape artist and the 40B is quite short so that could come back and bite ya in the end.

I;m not sure what eels can and cant eat, but I;d wager a gues if its too big for his mouth he couldnt eat it. Just my thoughts. lol

Chocloate starfish are NOT reef safe but with no coral I think he might be fine, unless the eel eats him. :-(

I don't think eels eat starfish lol. Mine has a brittlestar living with him. As far as a cuc, you can put in hermits and snails and just replenish them once a month as they get eaten, if they get eaten.... If anything, the eel won't eat them until it becomes a little more mature.

and the chocolate chip isnt going to need a mature tank? ive been warned about my sand sifting star in the 75.

and i will say again. no reefiness will be in this tank. i guess i can put ghost shrimp in this one for him to graze on to help save the workers right?

coffeetwitch said:
and the chocolate chip isnt going to need a mature tank? ive been warned about my sand sifting star in the 75.

and i will say again. no reefiness will be in this tank. i guess i can put ghost shrimp in this one for him to graze on to help save the workers right?

I wouldn't encourage it to start eating live foods at all. I feed mine every 2-3 days so it knows it's going to be fed and I think that has made mine not eat hermit crabs. It doesn't matter anymore since my Picasso trigger is picking on my hermits anyways lol.

I can't help you on the chocolate chip star though, don't know much about them.

i saw a flame angel at the fish store today while i was taking care of some business there. i need to get this tank moving forward.

we drove 2 counties out of our way to the nearest petco for the tank sale they have but its finally here. got some black sand and used the left over paint from my still continuing 75g mixed reef project.

considered black sand with white background. heres hoping to making the right choice.

any way pictures in no particular order.

img_1541512_0_18e24fcfc2154689b0233989bc15bb24.jpg

img_1541512_1_822fe89ce848766689e7cd6d801ab6f1.jpg

img_1541512_2_d53b8bd063a91d78839e707bb2e4c3fc.jpg

img_1541512_3_491efd78c5f247ee4000434cb7d64889.jpg

img_1541512_4_7ec805368f34c6b7c93478e2b8d6cb45.jpg

img_1541512_5_8b0019efa38d43602a893920e6836dcd.jpg

img_1541512_6_5a6dcec4f0de0ca6119d5493e3257ca9.jpg

top masked off so no paint over-spray could get in.
img_1541512_7_4da153334248030e7dee76f37f64ae2b.jpg

image-2186188834.jpg

That's what it looks like empty. We are making rodi water to mix with our salt.

That's a temporary light and temporary stand. Fun fact: That dresser has been in my family for 2 generations now and still standing strong.

I found a permanent stand at a lfs for 170. That's going to have to wait.

Make sure to get/make a top for it! Eels are not to jump out and die. Looks very nice and clean so far. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

glad you mentioned a top. i bought 2 40g tops to use for my 125. they dont quite fit on the 125, they are too short. i put one on my sump to keep the cats and dog out of it, pulled the old nasty one out of the garage and put it on the 125, hopefully just for 2 weeks. its an old oceanic tank with the glass middle brace not the frame brace, anyone have a link for the correct glass tops for the 125 handy, im looking online once this posts.

back to this tank. ive been told that i shouldnt use air bubbles because of salt creep. so how do i maintain proper oxygenation in this tank with out it and not using a sump? my filtration for this is going to be a hob skimmer and a canister filter. i dont want to starve my fish of oxygen.

surface agitation alone? can do that in my freshwater tanks too?

and you know that little piece of plastic you put on the glass lid that you can cut to allow for whatever hardware you have for your tank? is that going to allow enough air movement for o2 and co2 to change places?

No, i don't think that will allow for very much gas exchange. What's the filtration on it going to be? A HOB filter will do fine for oxygenation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom