cold water tank - 10'C/50'F or less

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wombat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It's a bit of a pipe dream at the moment but i'd thought i'd ask for advice anyways, see if it's feasible:

I want to have an 120L aquarium in my house but with local species (fish, invertebrates and seaweeds if possible - keeping biomass fairly low) found along the shore and collected from diving (local regulations say that is ok). the sea's annualy temp. range is from 3'C to 12'C (35-50'F) and my house ranges from 15-22'C. i would aim to run it at around 10'C initially, so I know I'd need a chiller.

Can the chiller draw and return water from/to the tank, or would I need a sump tank.

Can this be done on a small scale, and will it require a large space to set up? a self contained cabinet would be ideal (suitably ventilated of course)as I don't think my partner will let me get away with using up too much of our lounge.

if anyone can direct me to further reading that would also be good. any searches for coldwater aquariums generally means unheated, which will not be cold enough.

Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Back
Top Bottom