collecting live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mupwi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am planing on colecting some live sand to add to the biodiversity of my tank when I go diving some deep reefs this weekend.
Does bringing live sand up fron depth require a slow acent like with bringing up fish or can I just swim it up at my normal acent rate I dont whant to end up killing all the good bacteria and whatever else makes up the live part of the sand

The sand will need to decompress only if you need to. How deep are you going?

I think the deepest dive will be 28m I have been told that when bringing fish up they shouldent accend faster than 1m/min where as recomended accent rate for divers is 10m/min concidering they live down there and im only down for less than an hour

You should be fine. How far offshore are you going?
What is the temp at that depth?

Have you brought up any before and checked the biodiversity of the sand?
I'm just wondering about the life from that depth in the higher temps of a marine aquarium.

the reef was about 1 mile offshoar depth 28m water temp 23deg c havent braught any up from depth before but my friend said that that witch I braught up from the shourline made a huge diffrence to the tank havent actualy put any under a microscope or anything to check biodiversity

Back
Top Bottom